Could really use some advice about a hen... and her poopy symptoms

NewFLChickenMama

Chirping
Apr 20, 2019
East Central Florida, USA
Hi Everyone,

I have a 14 month old easter egger, Tilly (Attila the Hen) who has a constant problem with lose poop. I know chickens poop a lot, but what she produces is nothing like the other 5 hens. She varies from watery with little other content, to a watery diarrhea like splash... yes I said splash, cause my girl has -range- when she lets fly. That stuff is under pressure, and you'd better be ready to dodge if she's aimed in your direction! Rarely would one of the specimens have enough 'substance' to have any form at all. She's been like this from the very beginning, and I've tried plenty of suggestions. Pumpkin seeds as a natural dewormer, Durafend Type C medicated feed etc. Yogurt regularly - full fat and plain. She eats like there is no tomorrow, and pretty much lives for the morning grape and evening blueberry snacks. She's on layer feed for the majority of her diet though, with access to crushed egg shells as she wants them.

She drinks so much at once that it will occasionally reappear from her nose, but that's been going on from the beginning too, and doesn't slow her down at all.

The runniness of her poop did cause her flockmates to have far to much interest in her butt (it mats the feathers and I soak her lower half in warm water in a dishpan to loosen it from her feathers- can I say thank you enough to the people that make latex gloves?? I think not!) Her crew did pluck her tush bare and raw- it was fine one morning, and 4 hours later it was a bloody mess. She became a house baby to recuperate after that 6 months ago, and that's allowed me to watch her really closely.

Aside from the feather loss of a light molt, her comb is pale but otherwise she looks good- about half of her butt feathers have grown back- Good for her, more soaking time for me. She goes outside for about half the day on Saturday and Sunday, with her own private section of the run and a little house all her own to keep her safe from her friends. During the week, she really only gets outside time when I get home before dark, so it's an hour or less each day with the shortening daylight.

She's a very solid bird who seems otherwise to be perfectly ok. Eyes are sharp and clear, she cheers the other ladies on loudly and enthusiastically when it's egg song time, and she seems to be in absolutely no distress.

The only other symptom I can report is that she doesn't lay often. Once every 2 weeks perhaps, but that is a more recent development and the timing matches her feather molt. Head feathers only... and they're starting to come back in. She looked a lot like a bird version of Skeletor there for a while! I'm ok with no eggs. She's a pet first. Donating breakfast is just a side benefit from my ladies.

I have not been able to find a vet willing to take a chicken client... can you kind folks give me your thoughts and ideas? Again- she's a pet. As long as she's happy, I don't care if she never lays another egg. I just want her to be healthy, and perhaps be able to safely rejoin the rest of the flock someday.

Thanks for reading and any input you may have to help Tilly.

[

14 month old easter egger, Tilly (Attila the Hen) who has a constant problem with lose poop. I know chickens poop a lot, but what she produces is nothing like the other 5 hens. She varies from watery with little other content, to a watery diarrhea like splash

She's been like this from the very beginning, and I've tried plenty of suggestions. Pumpkin seeds as a natural dewormer, Durafend Type C medicated feed etc. Yogurt regularly - full fat and plain. She eats like there is no tomorrow, and pretty much lives for the morning grape and evening blueberry snacks. She's on layer feed for the majority of her diet though, with access to crushed egg shells as she wants them.

She drinks so much at once that it will occasionally reappear from her nose, but that's been going on from the beginning too, and doesn't slow her down at all.

She's a very solid bird who seems otherwise to be perfectly ok. Eyes are sharp and clear, she cheers the other ladies on loudly and enthusiastically when it's egg song time, and she seems to be in absolutely no distress.

The only other symptom I can report is that she doesn't lay often. Once every 2 weeks perhaps, but that is a more recent development and the timing matches her feather molt.

I'm not sure if there's anything you can "fix" here. From your description, she has been like this from the "beginning" - I'm going to assume she always had loose stool as a chick, she has always eaten well and has always drank a lot. Sounds like this is "normal" for her.

Since you have tried numerous things, I would be hesitant to suggest anything else.

Thank you Wyorp Rock. I appreciate your thoughts- these are my first chickens and while I feel like I read a ton about this/them, I'd hate to miss doing something that would help.

One other thing that I suspect is unrelated- From her egg #1, every one has always been elongated. Long and narrower than the other ladies' and noticeable enough that I tilt them in the cardboard cartons so the lids will close.

Thanks again - There is so much to know and learn :)

Hi Morrigan-
Is that fecal float the same process done for dogs and cats, so my 'regular' vet could do that test regardless of the species? That would be great!

I'll reach out tomorrow!
Thanks for the great idea!

Yes it is. I've heard that some vets won't do it for chickens, not sure why. Hopefully your vet will be able to help you.

Hi Everyone-

Update on Tilly- Man, are we learning a ton! I finally found a vet (Exotic avian... go figure) right in my backyard. So very grateful; it took a few tries, and I want to share where we are now, how we got here, and ask a question or 3 about low density feed.

Since my last post, Tilly stopped laying completely. She seemed swollen in her rear, but otherwise she's her usual self- diarrhea 85% of the time, but lately that's seemed a bit better actually. I can actually say I've seen something close to solid poo from her. The real concern was the swollen/distended rear that has been persisting for weeks.

The first vet I went to a few weeks ago diagnosed it as a massive tumor after an xray- the entire area from behind her legs and back appeared to be a single gray blob. Bad xray? Dunno. What I do know is that he barely touched her. Ever get the feeling that someone is clueless and just going through the motions? That was our visit with the first 'vet,' and we knew midway through the visit there would not be a second appointment. I continued my search for a vet to diagnose Tilly.

Today she was seen by the 'new' vet who clearly does have experience with chickens (as well as falcons, owls, macaws, etc). If you live in Florida, I'm in Brevard County and I will gladly share his name if you message me. I love it when someone loves to share information and educate me (Also why I love this forum, by the way!)

While the news today isn't great, it isn't hopeless either. After an exam, ultrasound showed that the cause of the swelling was fluid. Aspirate of that fluid was perfectly, crystal clear. No color, nothing suspended in it. She has ascities/congestive heart failure/Altitude sickness (misnomer there, considering we're close to sea level). At least treatable if not curable.

She's a little overweight, and the recommendation is to try to get a bit of weight off of her and monitor. The fluid isn't causing her any issues now (aside from a bit of a waddle- she moves just fine, and can jump on and off her perch without issue), and will just come back, so we are watching her for now.

That said, the recommendation was to feed a low density feed to reduce her weight. Google and I have been at it for hours (complicated articles on mass poultry feeding were incredibly hard to digest (sorry, couldn't pass that one up!), and I've spent a lot of time cruising through the info here too. What I don't find is a specific feeding recommendation for that low density diet. I'm new at this and details are a godsend. She's a young bird, easter egger, not laying, and has been getting a regular diet of layer feed with a month or two of Feather fixer due to the flock molting, but we are back to layer feed as of last week. Treats are a few grapes or blueberries each day. I can add veggies and restrict the layer feed (but how much should she get? She has been allowed to free-feed her entire life, unmeasured) Does that plan constitute low density feed? Is there a commercially available low density feed? Is there a good, home made recipe for one? I'm willing to do whatever I can for my Tilly- remember, she's a pet.

Your help/advice/experience is much appreciated!!

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom