Could really use some help with some unwell chickens

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by happymom99, Sep 9, 2012.

1. happymom99

happymom99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2011
    California
    Hello,

My chickens are unwell. I know they have avian pox and I posted about that and got some answers. Well, now this morning when my silkie was in the nestbox I saw something small crawling on that featherless area on the side of her head. Not positive but I think that is the chickens ear??? Anyway, the area has seemed scabby and kind of raised and yucky but I just thought it was from the avian pox. When I saw this teeny tiny thing (not even sure how I managed to see that it was there but so glad I did) I figured it was a mite because, as a not-so-experienced chicken owner, I seem to have heard a lot about mites. So I tried looking up mites and I read that they are microscopic so I guess that is not what I saw.

If you can please help with these questions I'd really appreciate it:

***What could it have been? It looked like a light brownish color. It was gone fast so I didn't get a really good look at it.

**What should I check for on my flock?

**I am going to completely clean out my coop today. I was going to pull out all the shavings, clean with a 50/50 bleach and water solution, let dry, rinse again, replace with fresh shavings, dust with diatomaceous earth. Then I am going to dust their run and foraging area with with diatomaceous earth. Is there anything else I should do?

Thank you so much.

2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Last edited: Sep 9, 2012
  3. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    Seven dust works really well. Redust all in 10 days.

4. dlg4742

dlg4742 Out Of The Brooder

May 28, 2012
    I dust my coop and ground where my chicks dust themselves with Seven.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by