1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Could someone clarify?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by bawkbawkbawk, Apr 25, 2009.

1. bawkbawkbawk

bawkbawkbawk Chillin' With My Peeps

Is it more common/accepted to feed chickens INSIDE the coop, OUTSIDE the coop or do people do both?

I'm thinking the coop will stay cleaner if we feed them in the run but as a beginner I'm not yet trusting my instincts. (Insert scratching head smilie here... [​IMG])

2. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    I keep my feeders inside the henhouse with extra water bowls too. Outside in the runs have waterers but no feed. Helps keep the wild birds out of the runs here at my henhouse. Plus when I lock everyone in at night I want them to have feed and water just incase I'm late letting them out. Works for me this way.

3. bawkbawkbawk

bawkbawkbawk Chillin' With My Peeps

Ahh...so inside is better in terms of keeping other animals away. Got it.

Thanks!

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I do the same as Tuff. [​IMG]

5. Kim_NC

Kim_NC Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    Mt Airy, NC
    I'm the same - feeders and waterers inside 24/7, extra waterers outside. I feed all scraps outside, but only enough at one time that they clean them up in a half hour or so. That way scraps are never laying around to draw critters.

6. sweetie54

sweetie54 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2009
    feeder inside the run or coop and scrapes outside!!!

7. Sunflower

Sunflower Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2007
    Berryton, KS
    I feed them both inside and out, primarily indoors though. No reason really, just kind of to give them something to do and not fight w/ each other. Pests don't seem to be a problem (yet).
    We do have a lot of wild birds in w/ the chickens, but I feed the wildbirds food anyway. I tried to keep my birdfeeders separate from the chickens but then the chickens hunt them down and would jump the fence to eat the bird food.

8. bluie

bluie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2007
    I do the total opposite. I had food and water both inside and outside, but the water was making a mess, so I moved it all outside. Our run is super secure, so much so that we never close the door to the coop. If they are hungry, they can go outside anytime they want.

9. GardeNerd

GardeNerd Chillin' With My Peeps

I feed and water outside in the run, mainly due to limited space. My run would be as hard for other animals to access as the coop. It seems to be fine so far.

10. froggie71

froggie71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2009
    Shamong, NJ
    Quote:Ditto. our food and water are outside, run is secure, and door always open on coop so they can come and go as they please. This is for my duck and guineas who made it through the winter this way with no problems. My chicks are still in brooder, and coop not ready for them yet, so we will see how that goes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by