Could someone double check local laws for me?

Mar 24, 2019
http://whdrane.conwaygreene.com/NXT/gateway.dll?f=templates&fn=default.htm&vid=whdrane:OHLancaster

I will be building a small coop in my back yard over the next few weeks to month. Ive got 10 chicks in a brooder now about a week old. Ive double checked and double checked my city ordinances, and as far as I have looked, searching for "rooster" and "poultry" I am allowed to have a coop AND roosters. As long as:
It is at least 50 feet from a neighbors house and kept sanitary.

Am I correct? Husband wanted me to double check on these forums and make sure that people who may know chicken laws better could help XD

Thanks so much for providing a link, I hate having to look up ordinances and then taking a guess because I can't be sure that the ordinance is actually correct for the lot in question.

Looks like you're correct, you're allowed to have poultry as long as the enclosure is more a certain distance from property lines (50' from neighbors, 100' from certain things like schools) and as long as it's kept clean, rodent free and has some outdoor space for the animals. Looks like you can free range as well as long as the birds aren't straying onto public property (i.e. roads).

There's a general noise ordinance so rooster should be ok as long as the neighbors don't complain about it crowing all hours.

I think you are ok to own fowl, however there is a lot of stuff in your codes about accessory structures. You'll want to look at that specifically for your zone district before you build your coop. You wouldn't want to have to tear down and re-build because you were a foot too tall or a foot too close to the property line or something.

Thanks so much for providing a link, I hate having to look up ordinances and then taking a guess because I can't be sure that the ordinance is actually correct for the lot in question.

Looks like you're correct, you're allowed to have poultry as long as the enclosure is more a certain distance from property lines (50' from neighbors, 100' from certain things like schools) and as long as it's kept clean, rodent free and has some outdoor space for the animals. Looks like you can free range as well as long as the birds aren't straying onto public property (i.e. roads).

There's a general noise ordinance so rooster should be ok as long as the neighbors don't complain about it crowing all hours.
Thanks a lot!

Thats what I thought. I dont plan on keeping any roosters so if one of my little brooder babies starts to crow.. well.. his name will become soup really fast or he will head out to the farm I keep my horses at. XD

I think you are ok to own fowl, however there is a lot of stuff in your codes about accessory structures. You'll want to look at that specifically for your zone district before you build your coop. You wouldn't want to have to tear down and re-build because you were a foot too tall or a foot too close to the property line or something.

Good idea. In my area there's no restriction specifically on coop size however if the building is over a certain size or has electricity or water you need a building permit.

Good idea. In my area there's no restriction specifically on coop size however if the building is over a certain size or has electricity or water you need a building permit.

Me too, we also have foundation requirements because of wind even the the structure is small. It's generally classed the same as building a shed. Also know where any utility easements on your property may be.

Yeah... I plan on putting a coop in my back porch area. I have a 15x15 screened in patio and then the house attatched that makes a U shape around a 20x30 old flagstone open patio with a 5x30 old flower bed along the house. Was planning on fencing it in with 6 foot high fence, putting netting over the top from roof to roof top to keep the hawks out, and building the coop in the corner over the flower beds along with a run over the flower beds... just re-seeding the dirt with grass. Then letting them free range on the flagstones for an hour or so before dark. At least until I get a proper back yard fenced in. Dont trust neighborhood dogs not to kill them if they are free ranged.

Back
Top Bottom