Could this be a problem?

WildBillHicks

Chirping
8 Years
Jul 25, 2011
Durham, North Carolina
My Wyandotte lost her tail feathers a few weeks ago (moulting I suppose) and not long after that she seems to have turned mean. She picks on two of my buff hens. She usually sneaks up behind them, pins them down and bites them on the neck. No feathers come off but I still don't know what she's doing or why she's doing it. The moulting might just be a coincidence. The Wyandotte is not the head hen either so I really don't get it.

Please advise.

Pic from a few months ago. (she's pretty!) She pooped on me today when I picked her up.
big_smile.png

007-2.jpg

It sounds like rooster behavior. Does she lay eggs? Maybe she's working her way up the pecking order. Hopefully it will stop.

sounds like she's making your other hens KNOW whos boss. It'll work itself out. My faverolle hen started this behavior. I have some pullets that are starting to get close to lay, and she wasn't on the top, but since her sister got murdered, she's started to assert herself as head hen... She's doing that to a few of my wyandottes...

Yeah she lays regularly, almost every day. I introduced two new Game hens recently but she doesn't pick on them other than chase them away from food but maybe that triggered this behavior since there has been a lot of pecking order stuff with the new hens.

Just for the fun of it. The two Game hens

006-3.jpg

001-7.jpg

Back
Top Bottom