Could This be an American Sable Rabbit? No Other Coloring Matches (or a Mix?)

I'll have to get my husband to hold him so I can take the picture. I think it's probably male, but here are some pics so maybe you can see the dewlap area better (I hope). The ear close up was because he was curious about the camera.
DSC07287.JPG
DSC07288.JPG
DSC07289.JPG
DSC07291.JPG

I'll have to get my husband to hold him so I can take the picture. I think it's probably male, but here are some pics so maybe you can see the dewlap area better (I hope). The ear close up was because he was curious about the camera. View attachment 2611073View attachment 2611074View attachment 2611075View attachment 2611076
Nice shape to that guy. I used to raise meat rabbits. I can picture him as a breeder, or even dinner.

I am 99% certain he is a he. No dewlap, which makes the girls look like they have a fat double chin.

If he is an American Sable for sure, they are supposedly meat rabbits I read. He's really handsome, I think. Thanks so much for that! I was afraid I'd taken in some pregnant doe, LOL, but I didn't see any belly on it or any other signs of impending birth like pulling fur or actual nest-building so I hoped I was home free on that one!

Look up the house rabbit society. Check to see if they have a rescue near you.
Most rabbit rescues will spay and neuter and find a great home for their rabbits. They won't let rabbits go home to people that want a new toy for their kids, or people that are just going to out them in a tiny cage and neglect them.

If you think you can care for him until he finds a home you could foster him for a while but sometimes rescues are picky about who can foster.

Thank you, if no one claims him as theirs (and they have to ID the color, at least), then we'll investigate that.

ETA: There is one in Kennesaw, about 2 hours from here, but when I researched rabbit rescues in this county, the local Humane Society popped up, so we're going to call them tomorrow and see if they take rabbits. They'd neuter him and adopt him out if they do. They're a no-kill shelter started by my real estate agent I've used a few times here.

Last edited:
Thank you, if no one claims him as theirs (and they have to ID the color, at least), then we'll investigate that.

ETA: There is one in Kennesaw, about 2 hours from here, but when I researched rabbit rescues in this county, the local Humane Society popped up, so we're going to call them tomorrow and see if they take rabbits. They'd neuter him and adopt him out if they do. They're a no-kill shelter started by my real estate agent I've used a few times here.
That's great!! I'm sure he'll find a great home thanks to you.

And you are welcome! I love being able to help people and share rabbit info. I could talk about rabbits all day!

The Humane Society doesn't take rabbits, however, they said send an email with the particulars about this rabbit and contact information and they may find someone to help. Today, a local mini-farm/petting zoo type operation not far from the house called and they're coming to take him to be with other rabbits and animals on their little farm. I guess the HS approves. So, Mr. Bunny will have a new home by tonight with someone who knows rabbit care well. I found pics of him on the game camera out by our pasture taken before the morning we found him in the exact location of our resident fox visitor so he was very lucky to have avoided being eaten that night!
IMAG0365.JPG

This fox is often found in the exact location of this rabbit so he was not at all safe.
IMAG0258.JPG

The bunny has a new home now. This place is where she is going. Yes, she! The lady sexed that bunny sitting on my steps. So, now I could sex a rabbit if I had to in the future. She said she probably lost her dewlap just from maybe losing some weight out on her own, but she was in good shape and definitely a sable color, though could be a New Zealand breed according to the director/owner of the petting farm(I didn't think they came in sable). She could be bred by one of the many wild rabbits we see on game camera every night. Anyway, I donated the bagged rabbit feed to her farm. Now, the next stray that lands here had better be my chicken-friendly livestock guardian dog! 🤨
Adventures of Shadow Lane Horseback Riding & Petting Farm

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom