Could this be EYP?

Kneedles

Songster
6 Years
Jul 22, 2014
Wellington, New Zealand
Today I found that two of the eggs in the place where all three of my hens lay their eggs had yolk on them. I would like to know how likely it is that this means that one of my chickens has EYP. Two of my hens have each had a recent visit to an avian vet for possible respiratory infections; one of them recently finished taking prescription antibiotics and the other is still taking them. The hen who didn't get taken to the vet is the biggest of the three, and is the most vigorous eater. I have not seen any of them behave unusually today, but if it is likely that one of my hens has EYP, then I would like to know what I should be looking for next.
Two of my hens are four years old; the other one is five years old. They are all black sex-links.
IMG_2848.JPG
IMG_2850.JPG

oldhenlikesdogs

Grateful
BYC Staff
Premium Feather Member
5 Years
Jul 16, 2015
Wisconsin
It's more likely one laid a shell less egg or regular, and someone broke and ate the egg. Usually you are left with only yolk on other eggs. I would recommend feeding a higher protein ration, especially to higher production hens to prevent deficiencies which can lead to egg eating.

oldhenlikesdogs

Grateful
BYC Staff
Premium Feather Member
5 Years
Jul 16, 2015
Wisconsin
Sorry; I forgot to note that I am almost certain that my hens are incapable of pecking open their own eggs. I have seen them attempt it many times; they are unable to and quickly give up.
That's why I mentioned a shell less egg which sometimes hens will lay. They are often eaten. I occasionally will see eggs covered in yolk because one got broke for whatever reason.

With EYP a bird will be very sick and stand upright like a penguin and will have a swollen hard bottom.

micstrachan

Enabler
Premium Feather Member
5 Years
Apr 10, 2016
Santa Cruz Mountains, California
No, in EYP, the yolk is deposited internally, into the abdomen, so you would never see it smeared on another egg. I suspect someone is laying thin shelled or shellless eggs and the girls are eating them. If that is the case and you can figure out who it is, I’d give her human calcium citrate with D3 for a few days. Do they have access to oyster shell for calcium?

Kneedles

Songster
6 Years
Jul 22, 2014
Wellington, New Zealand
No, in EYP, the yolk is deposited internally, into the abdomen, so you would never see it smeared on another egg.
This source mentions that a hen with EYP laid a 'mess of yolk', though? http://simplelifeainteasy.blogspot.com/2012/03/egg-yolk-peritonitis-diagnosing-sick.html
I suspect someone is laying thin shelled or shellless eggs and the girls are eating them. If that is the case and you can figure out who it is, I’d give her human calcium citrate with D3 for a few days. Do they have access to oyster shell for calcium?
I have been ignorant of the fact that oyster shell is important to the diet of chickens until now. I will try to get both oyster shell and the calcium citrate pills as soon as possible.
I've been giving my hens yoghurt recently; how much calcium does it contain compared to oyster shell?

oldhenlikesdogs

Grateful
BYC Staff
Premium Feather Member
5 Years
Jul 16, 2015
Wisconsin
This source mentions that a hen with EYP laid a 'mess of yolk', though? http://simplelifeainteasy.blogspot.com/2012/03/egg-yolk-peritonitis-diagnosing-sick.html

I have been ignorant of the fact that oyster shell is important to the diet of chickens until now. I will try to get both oyster shell and the calcium citrate pills as soon as possible.
I've been giving my hens yoghurt recently; how much calcium does it contain compared to oyster shell?
It can happen, but it's usually accompanied by a sick hen. The presence of yolk isn't reason enough to think EYP unless your hens are looking unwell as well.

Wyorp Rock

🐓 ❤ 🐛
Premium Feather Member
5 Years
Sep 20, 2015
Southern N.C. Mountains
It's more likely one laid a shell less egg or regular, and someone broke and ate the egg. Usually you are left with only yolk on other eggs. I would recommend feeding a higher protein ration, especially to higher production hens to prevent deficiencies which can lead to egg eating.

That's why I mentioned a shell less egg which sometimes hens will lay. They are often eaten. I occasionally will see eggs covered in yolk because one got broke for whatever reason.

With EYP a bird will be very sick and stand upright like a penguin and will have a swollen hard bottom.
:goodpost::goodpost::goodpost:

I agree, it looks like there is just egg yolk from another broken egg on those eggs.
OP (@Kneedles ) where did you find these eggs - in your nesting box? Look inside the nesting box, I bet you will likely find some egg residue in your box or wherever you picked up those eggs from.

Top Bottom