could use some boarding-kennel advice

I think it depends on your vets place and busyness. My vet has very small indoor cages. They have some covered outdoor runs to which are bigger but all these cages are with the sick animals. My vet is extremely busy all the time. Not a good idea to have your animals there anymore then needed probably. I have boarded my dogs before and they were not happy and had red poop blood? No problems after very stressed out I assume. The dogs I boarded little wiener dogs. Maybe a large breed dog would be different, I don't know.

Good luck!

Do your vets live at their facility? Are the pets left on their own at night? You may not have had any cross contamination, but yes it does happen and I have documented it in the three states that I have operated facilities. I've spoken on this subject at some seminars and many of the vets have expressed concerns about this very problem. Many board at the clinics with no problems, and that is wonderful. Some kennels are hotbeds of disease. You must use due diligence and find the right place that you feel comfortable to leave your pet. Ask for references, and drop by for a tour at different times of the day. Ask how they disinfect the common areas, if you can bring your pet's food from home and possibly a blanket or bed. Then don't worry and have a good time on your trip.
Slinky

Thanks folks!

I went to visit the most-plausible-looking option this morning, and I think I am more or less okay with it (tho I want to spend a few days asking around locally for any good or bad stories people may have about the place). At their request I brought Russie with me so they could see how he behaved (with the owner's dogs), and he seemed to enjoy himself although was of course pretty overwhelmed by the strange surroundings. The owner did not volunteer a lot of information or anything, but seemed reasonably knowledgeable and what I saw of how he handled (and had trained) his own dogs seemed fine, and the currently-being-boarded dogs there did not seem excessively stressed. There are some things about it I wouldn't mind being different but we live in a world of finite options so this may be the way to go
tongue.png

As long as I don't hear anything bad from asking around, I will probably send Russie there just overnight sometime next month so he can get used to it (and learn that we WILL come to pick hm up!) and to make sure no obvious problem develops, and book our vacation dates.

BTW as an aside my vet's office rents space to a boarding facility under the same roof so they tend not to be highly forthcoming about recommendations of anyone else
tongue.png
, but I am not excited about that boarding option because a) the outdoor exercise areas are *totally* exposed to the wind which around here in December is a big problem, and b) they said that when they are busy they put some of their dogs in the vet clinic's cages, and I'm sorry but while I am sure there are SOME kennels where the personnel all practice excellent hand-washing and footwear-changing in those situations, I am not willing to bet that this is one of them
tongue.png

Thanks again, hope this works out,

Pat

Hi Pat, I own a kennel in Ny. Puppies take change very well, much better then older dogs. It is going to be harder on you then him. I don't let the dogs ran together (playtime) fights between dogs can happen very fast. The only dogs that go togather, live in the same home. Many people THINK kennels with indoor out door runs allow the dogs to go in and out all day. Because of heating and ac the door to outside is not kept open all day and night. The doors are open certain times, then closed. I do not charge for playtime, me and my staff love dogs and play with them as much as time allows. If you are going to be kenneling him at a busytime (Holiday times) Do not pay for playtime. The staff just willn't have time or engery, you will most likey be paying for something your dog not getting. Ask people who have dogs, where they board. Visit and see how clean the place is. Are the staff cheerful and helpful.

Back
Top Bottom