Could your pop door be at window height? AKA could I use an existing window as a door with a ramp?

The theory is that at some point we will build another 'real' coop lol, and the DH doesn't want 'some weird hole at the bottom of the shed' if we don't need it. lol .

I need to put a couple more windows in it regardless, So I have some flexibility in where it goes and it's size. This is one of those 7x7 resin sheds from a big box store. I'm excited about the two roof vent/skylights it has on it. I'm going to put a fan in one if it turns out to need more active air exhaust.
Could be more of problem inside than out.
Outside they just need a 'porch' and plenty of space to fly down.
7x7 isn't real big foot print for ramps or a landing area inside.

In theory, I am putting in a roost bar, poop board and the nestboxes underneath. The coop they are currently in is 8x4 and it seems to be working, so hopefully this will work out too.

I needed something less long and narrow, because cleaning it is so unwieldy, that it doesn't get done as often as it probably should.

I was basically going to tear it down (there wasn't enough roof overhang and the windows need to be redone, and the exterior nestbox is falling apart), and rebuild it, but they need somewhere to live in the interim. And I'm not sure how I'm going to rework it. I'm thinking long and low, with a cleanout door on the long side.

But for now, and If I like it, for long term, this resin shed is going to be the coop. If I need to tweak, I'll figure it out.

So far in the 15 years I've had these girls (or parents of them) they seem to be pretty flexible.

So they will either have to fly up when they come in or out, so it seems that either way I'll have to accomodate for them.

Hit reply too soon. Hope I didn't sound snarky.

That is good food for thought, I will have to see how they do. I'll be sure to make sure they have enough room to get up and down in there

My basic plan was a u shape, one side for a ramp (if needed) the back and other side for roost and board with water under one and nest boxes on the other, and the door side open.

I was hoping it would be an overall gain, since they are gaining an extra foot of floor space

Though TBH, they only ever seem to be in the coop for roosting and laying. I rarely see them on the floor

Though TBH, they only ever seem to be in the coop for roosting and laying. I rarely see them on the floor

I don't think of coop space and run space as separate entities. I don't think the chickens do either. I look at it as my space system. If the coop and run space is available they will use what they need. If they are locked in the coop and can't get to the run, then coop space is all they have. Same thing if weather keeps them in the coop. So that is one aspect.

I hear the point about being able to work in there. I consider your comfort and convenience as very important, mainly for the reason you mentioned. You'll do a better job of taking care of the chickens if it is convenient.

I still don't know how high that window will be. I don't think you do either yet. The higher it is the more clear space they need to land when they fly down. It may not be that bad.

I don't know how much experience you have attaching stuff to a vinyl shed. The way I do it is to make a sandwich. Put a board inside and outside and screw them together to give you something solid to attach to. Think of the wire in this photo as the vinyl. I know you said your husband doesn't want a hole in a strange place when that goes back to being a shed. I'd suggest building it where you want it and when it becomes a shed cover it with a piece of plywood. So no hole down low.

Fence Door Top.JPG

Well the plan would essentially be to convert it to a permanent window post chickens if it ever becomes a 'post chicken' entity. LOL But that is why the 'yet to be determined location/height' hole in the wall is intended to be at window height.

I don't have bees, rabbits or goats anymore. I'm down to just chickens and dogs.

I did see your sandwich suggestion on a former thread, which I found very helpful. Along with another series of photos of windows being placed in a plastic shed.

The concept makes sense, So I FEEL like I could do it , lol.

Back
Top Bottom