Couldn't Stop Bleeding

Jun 18, 2023
Hello,
This is not emergent. I took in a 10 week old crested cream leg bar last week. She had gotten hurt somehow and her owner didn't have the time to dedicate to her healing (which is completely okay, not knocking the owner at all).

The injury was on the back of her neck, between the start of her wings. It was a lump with several scabs and occasional bleeding. She could reach it and would peck it open. The old owner told me she had been this way for 2 weeks or so.

I got her home, cleaned the wound and wrapped her up so she couldn't reach it but still had mobility. I kept her completely quarantined in a dog crate on her own. She appeared to be healing until yesterday.

I went to clean her wound and give her fresh wrap, blood had seeped through the wrap. I cleaned her up, but the bleeding wouldn't stop. I tried pressure, corn starch and the stuff you put on dog nails. Nothing would stop the bleeding. She ended up passing and I feel like I failed her.

I am asking for any experience in this. I have healed many of wounds throughout the years, never had this happen. Would there be a reason it wouldn't stop bleeding? She could not have reached it to take off any scabs, so I am not sure how it opened up. Any insight or thoughts would be appreciated. I want to learn from this experience.

Back
Top Bottom