Count down to babies!

Meaghan

Chirping
5 Years
Dec 3, 2014
Archer, FL
So, I'm a new BYC member and we are just starting up our farm in North Florida. We have some babies due in from McMurray Hatchery around February 9th, and they're a mix of Orpingtons and Wyandottes, of all colors. :celebrate

We're getting ready to pressure wash the garage and set up a pen out there for them. The garage and house were built in 2005 and doesn't have any drafts or leaks, so we figured it was the best place for the chicks!

The only thing we're stumped on is a good containment for them. We're getting quite a few of them (16 BO hens, 2 BO Roos, 6:1 hen:roo ratio of SLW, GLW, CW, and 6 SR BLRW) to fill out two large separate coops when they mature. We know they'll have to stay in the garage for at least a few weeks because of temperature control, but wasn't sure if separating out among kiddy pools with chicken net siding was a good idea or not. :confused:

The only other concern we have is about rats getting in. We won't have the doors open to the outside, but rats always seem to find a way in.

Otherwise, we are just getting excited to have some chicks! We have some poults due in around 3/30 and ducklings due in around 4/15 as well, but those are so far out compared to the chicks! I will probably flood you guys with pictures of them when we get them settled in! :weee :love

So, I'm a new BYC member and we are just starting up our farm in North Florida. We have some babies due in from McMurray Hatchery around February 9th, and they're a mix of Orpingtons and Wyandottes, of all colors.
celebrate.gif

We're getting ready to pressure wash the garage and set up a pen out there for them. The garage and house were built in 2005 and doesn't have any drafts or leaks, so we figured it was the best place for the chicks!

The only thing we're stumped on is a good containment for them. We're getting quite a few of them (16 BO hens, 2 BO Roos, 6:1 hen:roo ratio of SLW, GLW, CW, and 6 SR BLRW) to fill out two large separate coops when they mature. We know they'll have to stay in the garage for at least a few weeks because of temperature control, but wasn't sure if separating out among kiddy pools with chicken net siding was a good idea or not.
hu.gif

The only other concern we have is about rats getting in. We won't have the doors open to the outside, but rats always seem to find a way in.

Otherwise, we are just getting excited to have some chicks! We have some poults due in around 3/30 and ducklings due in around 4/15 as well, but those are so far out compared to the chicks! I will probably flood you guys with pictures of them when we get them settled in!
wee.gif
love.gif
Welcome to BYC.
welcome-byc.gif

This is my chick It was hatched today

Back
Top Bottom