Countdown has started, just loaded up a broody for Christmas Chicks=)

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by CoffeeCow, Dec 4, 2010.

1. CoffeeCow

CoffeeCow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2010
    Washington, NC
    This is my first broody, she has been sitting on a pair of golfballs for 3 days now.
    I just got back in from loading her up with 7 eggs.

Hope all goes well, I will be updating this thread until hatching.

I marked all the eggs with the date they were laid (yesterday and today) and the name of the chicken that laid them hehe [​IMG]
    I chose not to separate her from the others, my flock is pretty nice, and the cockerel is very protective of his ladies.
    I will be watching carefully and if things get out of hand, I have a place to put her and the chicks, but I hope that she can raise them with the rest of the flock.

of the 7 eggs under her, we will have 4 ee's, 2 delaware/ee, and 1 bo/ee
    kinda interested to see what an ee/delaware mutt looks like [​IMG]

I just hope that most of them hatch out [​IMG]

I didn't want to overload her, this will be her first hatch, so thats why I only put 7 under her... if I get only 4 or so, that will be fine.

I will put pics up later, I have a football game to watch now, WAR EAGLE !!

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I just did this. Eight eggs, two eaten by another hen, one quitter, and five little fluffies running around. Being out in 50 degree weather doesn't seem to phase them; they don't even run under mama for warmth nearly as often as I'd expect them to. (No I can't do pics.)

My roos are both mutts so no telling what breed they are. Interestingly, though, I have one black, one dark brown, one pale yellow, one brighter yellow with a dark dot on the head, and one chipmunk colored chick. They sure are fun.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by