Couple of Broody questions

Nariah01

Songster
Apr 17, 2016
I have a broody Buff Orp. that has been sitting on 7 eggs for about 14 days, and so far its going great. I did have a few questions regarding the end of the process and hatching. I've heard and read several things on here about putting eggs in lockdown when incubating in a machine but have not heard mention of it in relation to broody hens. Does a hen go into lockdown too, and if so when? I've been pulling her off the nest everyday to every other day to make sure she is getting everything she needs. She had some diarrhea like poop the other day and I also like to make sure she is eating and drinking because she is very dedicated and may have lost a little weight. And if she does go into lockdown I want to make sure I don't pull her from the eggs at that point.

Also she is brooding and will hatch in the flock, I am not separating her. My question is should I move a waterer and feeder closer to the nest box that she has chosen for the first week or so after they hatch? The nest boxes are a few feet from the food and the waters are about ten feet from the boxes. I just have never had a hen hatch out eggs here and not sure when she will take them off the nest and how far she will go.

Hi I have had a bit of experience with broodys especially this year. 5 of my girls including a buff Orpington went broody early this year and laid for only one month before going broody again(all 5 are broody right now). First, when the eggs begin hatching the hen stays on the nest and doesn't get up until she feels there are enough chicks or the chicks begin to wander around. Second,there should not be a problem hatching in the flock unless you have some aggressive birds but she will do her best to protect her chicks. Yes it would be a good idea to move a waterer and feeder closer for a few days but then she should begin taking the chicks longer distances. Hope this was of help and, hope you have a great experience!

Hi I have had a bit of experience with broodys especially this year. 5 of my girls including a buff Orpington went broody early this year and laid for only one month before going broody again(all 5 are broody right now). First, when the eggs begin hatching the hen stays on the nest and doesn't get up until she feels there are enough chicks or the chicks begin to wander around. Second,there should not be a problem hatching in the flock unless you have some aggressive birds but she will do her best to protect her chicks. Yes it would be a good idea to move a waterer and feeder closer for a few days but then she should begin taking the chicks longer distances. Hope this was of help and, hope you have a great experience!

Thanks for the reply, that's crazy having that many broody at once, I've only had three broody at one time. And this is my first time giving a broody some fertile eggs to hatch. In the past I have given one some chicks to adopt but this will be first time hatching.

On a side note can anyone answer my question about whether or not hens go into lockdown at the end of incubation and if so what day? I've heard of lockdown as it refers to hatching eggs in a bator but not under a hen.

Back
Top Bottom