Couple of Feeding/Watering Questions.

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by TriRev, May 10, 2011.

1. TriRev

TriRev New Egg

May 9, 2011
    Background, the little girls are getting ready to start roaming in their chicken yard soon. I've been brooding them in the coop and they're just about fully feathered now. I plan on putting their feed (hopefully building the feeder tonight) in the yard, and setting up a nipple watering system there as well. (This is my first flock...)

So, do I continue to keep feed in the coop? I figured I might in the winter so they don't have to go out if they don't want to, but I'd really like them to spend the days outside...

And, do I need to keep water in the coop? Again, I'll put a small water container in the coop in the winter, and will wrap the outside with heat tape...

Also, what's the best way to teach the ladies to use the nipples? Tap their beaks on them? I may go with a cup system so that won't be as much of an issue... depends on what I can get from "local" suppliers.

Finally, how many chickens per nipple? I have a small (7) flock, so I don't figure I need too many...

Thanks all! This is a FUN experience.

-TriRev

2. Arcnadius

Arcnadius Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2010
    Western WI
    I can't help with the nipple waterers, but here's my two cents worth on food and water...

I'm not going to put food in the run because we have a huge rodent problem so the feed will stay in the coop. I have water inside and out so they have access whenever they need it. If I'm late getting the pop door open I don't have to worry that the girls are in the coop without a cool drink on a hot day.

3. 04SportsterChick

04SportsterChick Out Of The Brooder

Apr 24, 2011
    Maryland
    I have 6 almost 9 week old pullets who I finally got to use the nipple. It was in their run for a little over a week and I kept poking at it to show them water came out but well they didn't get it. I finally picked each one up and tapped the nipple with their beak. The "chicken head bob" made this a funny thing to watch. My daughter was cracking up watching me try to get the beak to touch the end of the nipple. Any how...about 5 min later one went back and poked at it and got water. It took less than 24hrs they all had it down. I have one nipple in the run and am putting another one in. I think 2 should do you fine. It seems when one gets thirsty they all do - who knew?[​IMG] Good luck!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by