Couple of questions

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by CindaLouWho, Feb 24, 2014.

1. CindaLouWho

CindaLouWho Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2014
    Hesperia, CA
    My yard is 1/3 of an acre. When it rains heavily, it floods terribly. Thankfully it is not often since I'm in Southern California. We are supposed to get heavy rains this weekend. My coop is on a high side of the yard but may still flood 2-6" in water. The water comes in from the neighbors yard.
    Question is, will my chickens drown if they decide to go down to the bottom of the coop?

2nd question is, I bought a bag of DE and it says for pets.
    Is this what I can use in the coop and or in a dust bath or will this hurt them? Do I need "FOOD GRADE DE"?
    It says nothing on the bag about being food grade so I am nervous to use it.

Thanks a million!

2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

I'm in the Pacific NorthWest, so I know my rain [​IMG] Your birds will be fine, no drowning. My birds use the kiddie pool for the ducks in the summer and do just fine. They slog through mud to get to the dry places in the run right now. It's not pleasant, but that's life in So Oregon.

Can't help you with the DE, sorry.

3. CindaLouWho

CindaLouWho Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2014
    Hesperia, CA
    Okay. I feel better now. Thank you!

4. Messipaw

Messipaw Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2013
    Yes good grade DE is what u are looking for. If it satay for pets it probably is safe. You should call the store where you purchased it to make sure. You definitely don't want to use the DE for pools. That's the dangerous kind. You want food grade for pets DE.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by