couple questions about building coop

badbowtie

In the Brooder
8 Years
Mar 4, 2011
Okay my wife and two kids would like me to build them a chicken coop and get 2-4 hens. I dont think I want to use the green poultry net I think I need to use somethting stronger to make sure I don't have a unwelcome guest. I am going to attach the run to the nesting area.
Link
indianapolis.craigslist.org/grd/2219200302.html

Any thoughts on this setup and see anything that should be changed around.

Last edited:
Hi and welcome to BYC! I don't know how handy you are but you can probably build something larger and sturdier for less money, including the run. You'll definitely want stronger wire for the run- either hardware cloth or 2x4 welded wire with hardware cloth around the bottom 2 feet to keep your birds from getting attacked through the wire. I would also recommend making the run tall enough to stand in so you can work in there if needed. If you look at the top of the BYC page you'll see "coop designs" with lots of wonderful, economical, and sturdy coops and runs built by various members. You'll find the answers to any questions you might have- lots of folks on here are true experts with years of experience. Whatever you choose to do ENJOY your new birds!

I would not pay that much for that I could build it stronger for cheaper that is not a problem.

Check out the book "Building Chicken Coops for Dummies". There are five different coop plans in there. They all use heavier gauge wire in the design for predator proofing. It is a good resource. I learned the hard way a raccoon can tear chicken wire open.
sad.png

The basic set-up of that coop is fine. Some things you'll want to consider when you build your own: Space: you'd want a minimum of 4x4 for the housing part of the coop for the number of birds you're interested in. The one listed on that site was only 2 x 4 (I'm pretty sure). Your run needs to allow for at least 10 sq. ft. per number of birds you're considering. If you're roofing your run (with wire or metal), be sure to make it tall enough for easy cleaning access (the one in the ad was only 3 ft. tall). Nest boxes - I'd opt for two. I'm not sure why they put so many nest boxes in such a tiny coop as that one????
A table like platform is a good idea for low coops like that one - or just frame it up on legs. It makes it easier to access without having to bend over. Also remember a large access door (in the shelter) for cleaning.
The coop in the ad is cute, but I certainly wouldn't consider more than two birds in it...
As somebody aleady mentioned, go to the very top of the page and click on the "Coop Designs" tab. Check out the small coops section there - bet you'll get lots of ideas
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom