Couple quick questions

Cat Water

That Person
9 Years
Jul 4, 2010
Mid Coast Maine
Hi, everyone! I was thinking about a goose for a guardian for my flock.

1. Would this work?
2. What breed would make the best pet? I kind of like the Chinese and Pomeranian.
3. Are they really messy like ducks? Better or worse?

Thank you for your time!

1. "protect" not so much. They may chase away some small cats or other small animals. They are more used to alert you and the flock of a near by predator.
2. Geese in general make great pets. If theirs a breed you like then go for it. If raised properly from a young age they'll be sweet regardless of the breed.
3. They are very messy. Mine are messier than the ducks.

Mmmm, they aren't reliable protectors, but they are excellent "watchdogs". I have three geese and a bunch of chickens and ducks, and when the geese sound off, I go outside and look for trouble.

I've heard folks use geese to keep hawks away from their smaller poultry. But that's about the extent of it. They could chase off a cat or maybe a small dog, but they are prey animals and as likely to run screaming as they are to go on the attack.

Any breed of goose can be pet material. If you hand raise them, they will be bonded to you for life. You have to spend a lot of time with them nearby you, or they could simply be "not afraid" of you and the ganders can be pretty nasty. I have a particularly wimpy gander who is mostly afraid of everyone, but I've had the other kind . . . hand raised, but not as bonded/imprinted. He was hell on webbed feet.

Thanks, guys. When I said as a guardian, I just meant discourage something like a fox or weasle from attacking or at least warn everybody. Kevin, when you say "messier than the ducks," do you mean they dirty the water or poop a lot? Or both?

Last edited:
more on the poop. Mostly because the eat a lot more than my ducks. my geese keep their water cleaner than the ducks do.

I have 4 chinese geese. When I ordered them I did not know if they were male or female. They all ended up being male. They were very friendly and affectionate until they reached maturity. With no female geese around, they became extremely protective of my property, chasing off the ducks, cats, dogs, and visitors. They have held the mailman hostage on more than one occasion. I have warning signs posted at the entrance to my farm, warning everyone of the nasty geese they may encounter. They are great mousers though and keep the barn free of mice.

1. Would this work?
nope. they may warn you of danger but a goose isnt much of a match for a dog, fox, whatever. and remember that they might start attacking the other birds. i have a gander who is a confirmed hen-killer. especially in mating season.

2. What breed would make the best pet? I kind of like the Chinese and Pomeranian.
i really like my toulouse

3. Are they really messy like ducks? Better or worse?
worse - really poopy. and they'll find the most inconvenient spot to sit and poop. like in front of the door
;-)

since we had a problem with a predator killing off my chickens and young geese..I bought three full grown Toulouse geese. They are great for being an alarm. I have no more problems with predators but who knows if it is because of the geese or not. They don't seem to be very aggressive towards cats. Somewhere I was told and read that the perfect guardian would be a donkey...which I have no room for
smile.png

I sure love my Toulouse! They are not overly noisy and lovely to look at. I had 4 young ones I raised but unfortunately they were killed off. These full grown ones are not as friendly but they do not attack. I am hearing they are not as mean and aggressive as some other breeds.
as far as the mess..it takes daily cleaning of their area. My front yard looks like it snowed due to feathers. they love to flap their wings and run. The pool water will get pretty nasty quickly. and the smell is worse than chickens.
smile.png

My main problem right now is flies. I am getting them under control with traps. I did not have a fly problem until after the geese arrived.

Last edited:
Also, when I said water, I meant the chicken's drinking water, not the pool. I'm not expecting them to chase the predators away. Just warn the family and the flock that danger is near so we can take care of it. Do you think just one female goose would be good fo rmy situation? I really don't care about poop. It's already everywhere.

Back
Top Bottom