Couple turkeys ready for thanksgiving need advise

burntmuch

In the Brooder
9 Years
Apr 6, 2010
Montrose MI
I have two turkeys that are ready for proccessing. A big Tom for thanksgiving and a hen for the freezer. I've been doing chickens for a couple years so I have an idea on how to do the deed. My question do I brine the Tom for a couple days before Thanksgiving and what do I brine it in . Also what do I cook at . My success with chickens is because of this forum,lots of great info from lots of great people, I m hoping for the same success with turkeys

I would look up the the brine recipe at thepioneerwoman.com another good one is Alton Browns from foodnetwork.com
I usually brine for two days before. I cook my turkey per Alton Brown's directions on foodnetwork as well. He does 500 degrees for 30 minutes then turns the oven down to I think 375 and applies a foil shield to the breast. There is not a stuffed cavity for this directions and this bird cooks much quicker than it would if you did stuff. I would say 15 minutes per pound versus 20 to 25 for a stuffed cavity bird. Good luck!

I agree with eggsgoldenrod. I just pulled my two hens out of a simple brine. As far as processing? I looked up how to process your turkey, and found a really good video on youtube. It's called processing heritage turkeys, heritage farms.

Back
Top Bottom