courtnix colours

tattie t

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jul 3, 2014
Lincoln
I've seen many threads./posts on colourings.
To say im getting confused is an understatement as there seems to be so many mutations....ive been trying search for images of fawn,beige and cream colours....all google gives me are images of suits[not the tuxedo i was looking for
hmm.png
]

i purchased some eggs off ebay, which the lady states fawn cream cinnamon pied gold silver and yellow....ive seen images of gold cinnamon fawn and silver but not cream....though she does state these are rare -which is prob why i cant find pics...

plus has anybody seen a pied tux as i think i may have one

heres my brood born on the 7/8 this month

Pretty babies! I look forward to hearing what people have to say about color, I don't understand them either. Is there a breed standard book that delineates the different variations?

I would like to know what some of mine are too. I just call them blondies, reds & tuxedo boy (one tux roo)....besides all the common ones I have.

I've seen many threads./posts on colourings.
To say im getting confused is an understatement as there seems to be so many mutations....ive been trying search for images of fawn,beige and cream colours....all google gives me are images of suits[not the tuxedo i was looking for
hmm.png
]

i purchased some eggs off ebay, which the lady states fawn cream cinnamon pied gold silver and yellow....ive seen images of gold cinnamon fawn and silver but not cream....though she does state these are rare -which is prob why i cant find pics...

plus has anybody seen a pied tux as i think i may have one

heres my brood born on the 7/8 this month

The problem is there is no breed standard, just the names colors are generally called by. You won't find pictures of a beige coturnix, because the straw colored birds we refer to as either golden manchurian, golden italian, golden speckled italian, etc. Cream color is also not a commonly used term to describe any color of coturnix. Fawn is sort of a "proper" name but looks much like a gold speckled italian to most. Pied could be used to describe every single color of coturnix sans white so we tend to shy away from that usage too.

The tuxedo you have is either range or tibetan, hard to say in the picture. Quite normal though. The other color is what we call gold speckled italian or just gold speckled. In the first picture I see a standard pharaoh or wild type.

If you live in the united states then the lady can't possibly be selling silvers because we don't have them here.

Also not to be rude but someone selling coturnix eggs and listing those colors isn't very knowledgeable about their flock. I feel like at the point you are providing birds to others you have a responsibility to at least understand what they are.

This site has colors listed with pictures which maybe will help you identify them a little better. They also sell very high quality birds whether you are looking for egg laying, meat birds, or just pretty colors.

http://jamesmariefarms.com/cqv-specialityClass-overview.html

This thread was created by Alexandra Douglas the author of the The Coturnix Revolution. It contains pictures and color names as well.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/565880/japanese-coturnix-quail-color-varieties

thats what i thought with the colours, ive seen a silver before [im in uk]
And here is where i keep looking at pictures of different colours....the only one personally im noticing the different in colour ive not seen is the lightest one where its neither white or fawn,or its a fawn really diluted.that one i will re take a pic when his feathers fully grown..
As for rare colours i think any is possible with the variations there is and a throw back could produce anything.
Still cute fast and full of character...
wee.gif

Just a thought, but what if we turned this thread into a place for newbies to post pictures of their birds, for the experienced to help identify colors. While at the same time, perhaps give suggestions of what NOT to breed with what. I was reading the other threads about genetics and it sounds like there are some "don'ts" when it comes to crossing colors. Also what might result from simple crosses of color. But "dumb" it down for us newbs.

I know there are very serious breeders in every aspect of animal rearing, but there are also tons of amateur hobbyists and tourists that just want to have a little fun. A place where we can get information on a less technical level would be a refreshing starting point for a lot of people I think.

I work in the greenhouse industry and can spout latin names and plant characteristics off in scientific terms.....but when I do that, it is visibly discouraging to most people. Some want to learn more, and they do. Others will still manage a fantastic garden and never know the scientific classifications of things. And some just want a pretty plant that they will eventually tire of. Without all of those people, my industry would be much less interesting.

TattieT, what do you think about making your thread into a place to post color pictures for ID?

I reckon this is now an Italian beige male ..what you guys reckon even though he's still missing head feathets

Phone camera not grill so PIC not too good the best I could get

Back
Top Bottom