COVERED Dust Baths

HappyHen89

In the Brooder
Mar 21, 2023
Can you spam me with your COVERED dust baths? I am needing to keep this in the run - but I don't want to put in the effort and money to have it be ruined with one rain. I am fairly handy so I am open to anything easy or hard.

I've seen individuals use a covered cat litter box, but I wasn't sure if this would be 1- big enough or 2- resist the weather well.

Thank you!

I use an old doghouse similar to this one...it has a removable roof and there is a plastic piece at the bottom of the door way that helps to keep stuff inside (I think my house has a taller plastic piece than this picture, but it's hard to really tell.)

doghouse.JPG

My coop is raised above the ground by 2 feet and even after all this sideways rain and snow this year the ground under there has stayed dry. They’ve been loving it under the coop for their winter dust baths. If you don’t have a raised coop, a tiny short pergola type shelter could work! If you wanted to you can put a solid piece of wood on the windward side to ensure it’ll stay dry. It would be a big enough area for multiple chickens because I find that in my flock multiple chickens like to dust bathe at the same time haha.

Can you spam me with your COVERED dust baths? I am needing to keep this in the run - but I don't want to put in the effort and money to have it be ruined with one rain. I am fairly handy so I am open to anything easy or hard.

I've seen individuals use a covered cat litter box, but I wasn't sure if this would be 1- big enough or 2- resist the weather well.

Thank you!
My chickens have discovered the best dust bathing spot when they free range. We have an old metal patio set that we were going to get rid of. The soil under the table is dry 100% of the time, and the girls run for it as soon as I let them out. Sometimes there are three at a time bathing there. I guess it’s going to stay now.

Back
Top Bottom