Covered run in winter?

MendonMan

Chirping
11 Years
Jan 31, 2012
The run for my chickens (all 4 of them!) is open on all sides with a solid roof. I live in western NY state. We can get 140+ inches of snow and some night can be frigid but above zero is the norm. The chickens are cold-hardy (Orps and Rocks).

I have some 6 mil plastic up on some areas of the run to provide rain/wind protection. I put this up in advance of hurricane Sandy and I think the chickens were grateful. Should I close it all in for the winter to make a snow-free zone for them to be in during the day (with occasional free-range days) or should I only partially cover it? The run is basically 4x8 for the 4 chickens plus some space under the coop which attaches to the outside giving them the full 4x8.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Charles

The run for my chickens (all 4 of them!) is open on all sides with a solid roof. I live in western NY state. We can get 140+ inches of snow and some night can be frigid but above zero is the norm. The chickens are cold-hardy (Orps and Rocks).

I have some 6 mil plastic up on some areas of the run to provide rain/wind protection. I put this up in advance of hurricane Sandy and I think the chickens were grateful. Should I close it all in for the winter to make a snow-free zone for them to be in during the day (with occasional free-range days) or should I only partially cover it? The run is basically 4x8 for the 4 chickens plus some space under the coop which attaches to the outside giving them the full 4x8.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Charles
If I had a run, I would cover it to make it snow free. I free range all day, and will be snow blowing a huge area for them to stretch their legs. :rolleyes: The things we do for our chickens!

I would cover it. I just had boards against the shed with tarp over them,and the chickens prefered the snow free spots.

Back
Top Bottom