Covering a Wooden Floor in Coop

I use milk crates as nesting boxes. I cut a hand sized hole from the bottom of the crate and that side is where the egg door is. I cut a thin piece of luan to fit over the holes under my opening for egg gathering. It is a tight fit so it has kept most of the nesting in the box.

Should I just let the poop drop on the wooden floor and scrap it out every day or two?
We got bit of linoleum flooring, let it air out outside for a few days and covered the floor of the coop and the poop boards. We didn't use glue, we wrapped the lino around the edges of the plywood and stapled it underneath so we weren't adding any chemical fumes. We then use the fine pin shavings to cover the floor and shredded straw on the poop boards and nesting boxes. The poop and the bedding scrape out so easily, we clean the poop boards daily and floor weekly and it all goes into the compost heap for the garden. I clean the lino weekly with a spritzer of white vinegar and water about 60% vinegar and 40% water. I have a wooden coop and also spritz the boards around the base, and the roosts with the vinegar mixture, using this method, we have not had any mites or fleas. *Touchwood even through the SC summer and mild winter.

Back
Top Bottom