Covering large run

CoconutCoffee

Songster
Oct 27, 2021
Eastern NC
I'm in the process of expanding my run. Now its 48x48, I'll be adding the fencing soon. I'm wondering on how to cover it economically. Is deer netting the easiest way? I haven't had an issue with hawks but don't want to rest on that. A portion is already covered (converted carport) and I'll had more hiding places to it as well.

Netting is a great way to cover the run. There are many kinds, so pick what you think you can deal with easily and is a good price. I live on the coast where it is easy to find free fish net.

However, do remember that net isn't fully predator proof.

A run topped with net is great for daytime protection, just not for night time protection.

Also.... if you get snow.... wet snow will stick to net. If you get too much snow it will tear down the net.

Netting is a great way to cover the run. There are many kinds, so pick what you think you can deal with easily and is a good price. I live on the coast where it is easy to find free fish net.

However, do remember that net isn't fully predator proof.

A run topped with net is great for daytime protection, just not for night time protection.

Also.... if you get snow.... wet snow will stick to net. If you get too much snow it will tear down the net.
We don't get snow too badly here, its a miracle if we get anything that lasts more than a day tbh. I'll most likely upgrade the cover later on but want something doable now. Haven't lost any to hawks (that I know of) but a I saw a hawk land several feet from the run the other week. First one in all my chicken owning years. Mustve caught a lizard or something.

I am currently attempting to put this up (bought from Pinnon Hatch Farms). It's great netting, stronger than I thought it would be. I am using 8 ft. PVC tees to put it up, once I have it somewhat in place I will be supporting it with PVC arches. It's been harder than I thought, especially since I am doing this alone. Also I am going over existing structures. If I ever do this again, I will put it up, then build underneath. My only predator issue is hawks (right now).
Screenshot 2021-11-11 at 13-13-02 Heavy Knotted Poultry Netting 2 Mesh Break Burst 85 245lb pe...png

I am currently attempting to put this up (bought from Pinnon Hatch Farms). It's great netting, stronger than I thought it would be. I am using 8 ft. PVC tees to put it up, once I have it somewhat in place I will be supporting it with PVC arches. It's been harder than I thought, especially since I am doing this alone. Also I am going over existing structures. If I ever do this again, I will put it up, then build underneath. My only predator issue is hawks (right now).
View attachment 2895336
I'll have to look if I can get something like that. I have a bunch of pvc pipes to get the net held up. I'm doing all of this on my own too, its a pain. Got 18 4x4s in the other day and finished the framing yesterday. I wish I took the time to get this up before I even got chickens lol

Netting is a pain to fully install alone - best to have at least one other person help with getting it up on top, and then a single person can easily handle securing it on the sides. But lifting and "throwing" it where it needs to go can be quite a task (i.e. I had to get my netting over a coop that peaks at around 10' tall, I fed lengths of netting to hubby who stood on a ladder and threw it over the roof).

Back
Top Bottom