Covering my A-frame run for winter. Any suggestions?

PaisyQ

Songster
6 Years
Apr 9, 2013
SW Michigan
Well, it's supposed to snow next week, so I figured I better get to work on covering the chicken run. I hadn't really thought it through before, and now I find myself a little stumped.

That's the coop and run above. The girls are used to having some free range time right now, but with winter coming, they'll probably be stuck in the run the majority of the time. I want to keep it as dry and snow free as possible. I was thinking of putting plastic up the sides, leaving maybe a five inch opening along the entire peek on both sides. Does that sound feasible? Will it give them enough ventilation, while keeping the majority of the snow out?

I use nice slick blue tarps. The snow slides right off. If it ices you can hit it with a stick to break it. I use my tarps in summer too for shade and rain. Inexpensive and effective. Our snow will be along soon too. Got the wee house done already with sand bottom and tarps. Next will be the big house. Good luck.

I would put boards along the bottom to start, just to keep snow that falls outside the run out. Then I would cover one side completely with a tarp (whichever side gets the prevailing wind). That should keep a lot of snow out.

The only way to keep snow out of an A-frame is to cover it completely
You'll basically need to build a tent over it if you use tarps

Cheap blue tarps don't hold up well to weight, so the sides need to have a steep slope

You could just cover it by laying the tarp directly on the frame, and let it extend over the ends for some protection there

The only way to keep snow out of an A-frame is to cover it completely
You'll basically need to build a tent over it if you use tarps

Cheap blue tarps don't hold up well to weight, so the sides need to have a steep slope

You could just cover it by laying the tarp directly on the frame, and let it extend over the ends for some protection there

I didn't want to leave them in complete darkness. :( I really need to get their new coop done.

I am also in Michigan...did you say snow? I have not heard this! LOL
Maybe you'll be lucky enough to miss it. We've got a snow/rain combo predicted for wednesday, thursday, friday and saturday. :p

Heavy duty clear shower curtains securely put on will keep the snow out and still let light and sunshine in, I use one one the south side of the run it works great for me.

Back
Top Bottom