Covering the bottom of the bator?

NellaBean

Graceland Farms
10 Years
Mar 4, 2009
Broodyland, TN
My Coop
My Coop
Does anyone here cover the bottom of their bator? I have an LG, and i know they sell a plastic cover for the bottom, to make it easier to clean..........but does anyone simply lay papertowels down or something like that? Trying to figure out a way to make clean up easier.

I have an LG. I don't cover the wire until time to lock down for hatching. Then I fill up the water holes and lay down paper towel over the wire. It has really helped with the mess. To keep humidity up, though, I sometimes add a small cup of water that will sit at egg level.

I have used paper towels on the bottom of my incubators for a long time. My hatches are great and I have no complaints
smile.png

ETA: I don't use the wire or the plastic tray with mine. I have a 1588 and a 1590. I got fed up with the wire a long time ago. For humidity I use a tall coffee mug (to tall for my chicks to get in) and it works great. I don't need a lot of humidity in mine anyway so it provides the perfect amount.

Last edited:
Quote:
why r u fed up with the wire? just curious.....cuz i have a 1588 and i'm hatching for the 1st time and i'm wondering if i should cover the wire or not?

I use cheesecloth. It lets the air and humidity circulate well and keeps all the little pieces of shell and poop from getting into the bottom of the incubator. Works great!

In the bottom of the brooder, I use disposable bed pads (sold near Depends @ Wal-Mart). They are 23x36 and cost about 30 cents apiece. Cleaning brooder is super easy, just roll up the pad and toss. They keep the babies from slipping and getting spraddle leg.

Last edited:
Quote:
I use puppy pads for the first week in the brooder. Never thought about the human bed pads. I need to do a cost comparison. Going to need a new batch very soon. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom