Coyote attack; first aid questions

Claire Up North

In the Brooder
Jun 8, 2021
Hi everyone! I’ve been reading all sorts of posts for the last 45 minutes end it doesn’t seem that anyone has yet directly addressed my questions. Thank you so much for taking the time to read this.

I have a one year old Plymouth barred rock who was attacked by coyotes yesterday. she has a couple of puncture wounds on one side and one of her eyes won’t open. I have brought her in and cleaned her wounds. I applied antibiotic ointment and I also sprayed the area with Vetericyn. I did not do anything with her eye.

She is alert, she has been drinking, and she has eaten a quite a bit of white rice. I tried to feed her soft oatmeal but she refused it. She also refused to eat any chopped up greens. Normally this girl has a healthy appetite and will try anything.

She is capable of moving but she chooses not to. I had her in an open cardboard box earlier and she hopped up on it (after about 12 hours without moving) to escape. The first time she hopped up, she didn’t quite make the 5 inches of clearance. She tried again though and made it. She even walked out of the room! Then she stopped walking and did not resist at all as I picked her up. I have since moved her to an enclosed cat carrier. The poor girl stood there without moving for probably 45 minutes. Then she adjusted herself and now minimizes all movement. She can reach her food and water just by standing up, and, like I said, she is actually eating and drinking pretty well.

We cleaned her wounds last night with hydrogen peroxide and we picked all the bugs off of the wounds. Today, her wounds are no longer bleeding. I gave her a good soaking with some warm water and applied triple antibiotic ointment and the Vetericyn. I plan to keep her indoors until she is fully healed. here are my questions:

1. should I keep giving her a little chicken bath every day before I apply new ointment? she’s not a huge fan...

2. at what point should I be worried that her diet is not more nutritious?

3. What should I do about her eye? Should I put antibiotic ointment on it? Should I spray Vetericyn on it? Right now it just looks like her eye is closed.

4. Does she need grit? Normally she free ranges for a part of each day and gets plenty of grit from the driveway and other scratching around. When do I have to worry about making sure she gets some?

5. normally she’s a very good egg layer. Should I expect that to continue? I’m not asking because I’m dying to have her eggs; I’m actually concerned that the effort of laying an egg might hurt her. If anyone has any advice about this I’d really like to hear it. So far today, no egg. Her vent looks good. Nothing hanging out of it and there doesn’t seem to be any damage.

thank you so much for any advice you can give! Her name is Dottie, and she’s been one of my favorites since the day we got her.

Hello! So sorry :-(
I had a pack of coyotes make hamburger of several of my girls. I treated the survivors, just as you are except no bath. Water gets too dirty and might cause infection. Just keep the areas clean and dry. Apply your meds a couple times a day and lots of rest for her. I kept mine in about 4 days before SHE was ready to go back out. Just let her body heal, chickens are so resilient. Shockingly so! Her eye will take longer. Time and tlc.

Try yogurt or canned cat food to get her to eat some protein so she can heal and have strength to do so.

She prob won't lay til she feels better but if she does, cook it up and feed it to her! More protein 💪

Sounds like your right on top of this. Keep up the great work!

Hello! So sorry :-(
I had a pack of coyotes make hamburger of several of my girls. I treated the survivors, just as you are except no bath. Water gets too dirty and might cause infection. Just keep the areas clean and dry. Apply your meds a couple times a day and lots of rest for her. I kept mine in about 4 days before SHE was ready to go back out. Just let her body heal, chickens are so resilient. Shockingly so! Her eye will take longer. Time and tlc.

Try yogurt or canned cat food to get her to eat some protein so she can heal and have strength to do so.

She prob won't lay til she feels better but if she does, cook it up and feed it to her! More protein 💪

Sounds like your right on top of this. Keep up the great work!
Thanks so much for the advice! I will cook her up an egg tomorrow. She was still eating and drinking through dinner. I just put her to bed and she seems to be resting more or less comfortably. Perhaps the Bit of aspirin I gave her is helping...

Back
Top Bottom