Coyote stalking the goats, luckily hubby is a good shot (photo)

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by skillswife, Aug 25, 2011.

1. skillswife

skillswife Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2010
    SW Montana
    I looked out the window a few days ago and thought, man that fawn looks funny because it was right where a doe and fawns usually bed down. Then it occurred to me it was a coyote and it was drooling over our goat Toula who was staked about 150 yds away and totally oblivious. DH got my 30-06 and needless to say the gun won. Normally I wouldn't have worried so much about the goats if they were in their pen, but being staked is a different story, it could have ended very badly for the goat, or the chickens for that matter. We haven't seen any more thankfully so my guess is she was traveling through.
    [​IMG]

2. Desert Rooster

Desert Rooster El Gallo Del Desierto

Sep 4, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca
    [​IMG]

3. aprophet

aprophet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    looks like a 2 year old "pup" leaving the "nest. Good shot the pups get out and start hunting on their own and start to establishing their own territory about this time each year

4. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Nice shooting!! thats one less chicken killer in the world.

5. clbdownunder

clbdownunder Out Of The Brooder

Jan 23, 2011
    Northwest Ohio
    Nice job skillswife and hubby! I'm laying for some at my place too, only problem right now is I'm surrounded by tall corn! [​IMG]

6. suki'smom

suki'smom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2011
    Central Wisconsin
    Woohoo! Good shootin! I tell ya its the young ones and the old ones that are the worst chicken getters in my opinion...Good thing your hubby got her before she became a bad nuisance.

7. skillswife

Jul 19, 2010
    SW Montana
    Yes she was very young. But not scared of us at all! We never had coyotes down here, then the last few years they have been around the place a lot, especially during calving season. The hay is now cut in the draw out back so hopefully that will help with less hiding spots.

8. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    It seems like coyotes around here are a more grayish color. Is there some color variation in the subspecies perhaps?

9. skillswife

Jul 19, 2010
    SW Montana
    Especially in the summer months are coyotes are typically very red, I am sure it is due to location, they have adapted to blend in.

10. hawcer

hawcer Out Of The Brooder

Aug 24, 2011
    One down, thousands to go...

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by