Coyotes Beware!

When I lived in rural Illinois we had a horrible coyote problem, they were thick as theives. After they killed my two pigmy goats in broad daylight I declared war. I used a rabbit in distress call, WORKS LIKE A CHARM. I would sit in my neighbors deer stand and call, they literally would come running morning, noon or night it didn't matter.

Quote:
Are you serious? Your great dane? How did that happen? Is she young still? Were they a large pack? That's incredible!

She is 1 1/2 years old. Although she is still big she is not as large as a grown male. About 55-60 lbs I'd guess. And Yes, I think it was at least 2 or 3. Danes apparently are not viscious dogs. At least not ours. We had 6 in the yard about a month ago but Herbie heard them, we let him out and he chased them off.

We don't own a shotgun, I guess if we want to keep small pets around we better find one. Any advise on what to look for? We have rifles, hand guns, BB guns and High Power Air pistols. The Sheriff seemed to think the latter 2 would do the trick but those rascals barely skip a step when we shoot them.

What a funny sight! Picture this, me seeing the coyote on the far side of the corral, about 50 yards away, grabbing the bb gun, the only shoes at the back door are are my husband's size 12 flip flops, running through the yard like I'm on water skis in my night gown, avoiding rocks, cactus, shrubs and low hanging palo verde branches, trying to shoot this coyote who is just jogging away, through a 20' deep wash looking over his shoulder like "Can you believe this crazy woman is following me?" The horses are looking at me ears pricked, the stupid Danes are not even getting up from the reclined position on the porch and my kid is yelling "Hey Mom, Whadder ya doin?"

Hahaha you sound like me! We had two dwarf nigerian goats that the coyotes got through two fences to kill. They didn't even eat them, they just decapitated them and left. I was soooo mad. So one day im on my tredmill looking out the window and I see a coyote. I was in a tennis skirt and a sports bra and I grabbed that gun so fast! I was running down the hill chasing it. My neighbors looked at me like I had lost my mind! Hahaha.
The other day the neighbors rottweiler was bated. They sent one dog fom the coyote pack up to the rott and it followed (they thought it might be a female in heat). They saw him get jumped by the rest of the pack once he was in the middle of the field away from the house more. Coyotes are crazy!

Last edited:
yuckyuck.gif

The fools we play for our animals.

I can't believe how bold your coyotes are!!! I live in rural Canada (right on the edge of 20,000 acre forest) and I KNOW we have lots of coyotes around because of tracks and howling every night, but I only see one about every 2 months or so (usually in the winter). I have NEVER had one in the yard (3 1/2 acres). I have 10 bantams and 8 standard Cochin's along with 2 rabbits that have the run of the entire property with only 3 strand barbed wire for protection. We get regular visits from raccoons, but our black lab and a live trap is enough to control them. If one of these Northern cousins of your coyotes spots a human, they disappear over the hill pretty quickly! But keep in mind, neighbors are usually a mile apart, so our coyotes are shot at on a regular basis! Sorry to hear about your old dog.

We have coyotes everywhere here but they have not been tackling anybody's nearby stock (yet) so official war has not yet been declared (we live in a fairly remote location with thousands of acres of wildland around us where apparently they find enough to eat). We see them several times/week, even in broad daylight and close to the house, but thus far the cattle, horses, (supervised and/or fenced) dogs, (LARGE) goat, and (well-fenced I hope) chickens have been safe. I hear them most nights. That being said, people with permission to hunt here have permission to shoot them at will if they like, and full-scale war will be declared if they even think about crossing the line. The ones we have around here are enormous (50-60 lb males bigger than Dad's GSD) and I don't think they're crossed with anything so they must be getting plenty of food. My BIL and nephew were bowhunting in a tree stand last week (they live in the Shenandoah Valley) and reported 4 which they described as "the size of wolves" and my BIL is by no means an alarmist or poor judge of size. They shot one with an arrow but it got away and they couldn't find the body. A friend of mine shot and killed a 55 lb one on my neighbor's farm. Personally I'm a retired cop and lifelong outdoorswoman and pretty much not afraid of anything but I now carry a pistol when I'm rambling in the woods which I won't hesitate to use if threatened. I love wildlife and I'm glad to have all varieties here (including bears and mountain lions). I'm generally more concerned about feral dogs we have roaming the area and I'm not saying coyotes would attack but I'm not stupid enough to think they wouldn't under the right circumstances, especially if I have one of my dogs with me. If you're uncomfortable with your shooting abilities (or don't want to shoot) you can always contact your local police or sheriff's dept. and see if any officers would like to come out and hunt. They're (usually) responsible and familiar with shooting with a backdrop in mind and many of them would welcome the opportunity for target practice.

Your Black Lab has alot to do with keeping those monsters away. They know he is a threat to them and he marks his territory (his pee spots). That's what happened here. Herbie kept everything away, and warned us of every danger, rattlers, scorpions, javalina, we even had a black bear wonder in during a drought and Herb kept him back till we could get a gun and scare it off. With in days of Herb's death, his scent was gone and the coyotes know the Stupid Danes are no threat to them. They just watch them come in the yard and do as they please. My friend about 3 miles away has a 6' block wall around her entire acre of land and the coyotes jump it to get her chickens.

Feral dogs are bigger threat to humans than 'yotes, I know from first hand experience about 15 years ago I had four of the nastiest/meanest looking kerrs tree me. I have never been so scared in my life, the thought of being ripped limb to limb by those things still gives me chills.
We literally formed a hunting pose, hunted them down and destroyed them. I am sure they packed up as a result of being dumped.

Back
Top Bottom