Coyotes grrr....

skeeter03

Songster
10 Years
Jun 23, 2009
Vernon
Its back! last year to the date we had a coyote attack which was quite successful......today not so much but I know the bugger will be back. It was at 6 00 this a.m. glad i was already mostly awake and heard the warning sounds - which I have heard before in the morning just not quite so much. l
so this afternoon i will be looking to fortify the run checking for any weak spots and they will be locked up at night now which is a real pain in butt, but because I love my birds so..... lol, Might tie the dog on out there to for a warning system.
shovel by the step and a few other hitting implements around the coup....

Couple of hot wires around the coop/run. Inexpensive, easy to install, solar charger if no electricity available at coop. One zap on the nose has been proven to deter many a predator and they usually prefer not to come and try again. I would be careful tying a dog out there, a tied dog is an easy coyote kill.

Don'y tie up the dog. The coyotes will kill it. Coyotes are working overtime at this time of year because they are having their pups. They are out during the day also so keep a good eye. We know around here they are not strictly a nocturnal animal. Neither are the fox.

I would only tie the dog up for warning system then i or hubby would be out there right away! Never would I just let the dog be out unless I know i can be out right away.
We had the dog tied up outside for almost a year at night and he was fine and did a good job of warning away other predators and warning us of unwanted animals never had one problem with animals trying to get the coop only recently he has been in a run on the other side of the house and now we dont get the warning other then the roosters and chickens kicking up a fuss. which i must say they are good at lol

Good Luck.....if you have a dog near or tied up near the pens at least they will bark and you can run out there..a.s.a.p... I know the .22 is greater than the shovel....

Back
Top Bottom