Coyotes!!!

mangled

Songster
11 Years
12 Years
Jan 25, 2008
The Wilds of Western PA
barnie.gif

Well, we've not had troubles with them in quite some time. From tonight's activity, it looks like they're back in our area.

My husband got home from work about an hour and 20 minutes ago, and went out to get wood for the fireplace, and let the dog do his business, came back in, no troubles.

Then, about 10 minutes later, there was a huge thump from the far side of the house. It shook the place.

I ran back to check on the kids, and they're sleeping soundly, so next step was to grab the spotlight and head outside.

We have a few brown leghorns that have gone wild on us. We can't get them into the coop anymore, so they're roosting in trees and such.

When I got outside and started shining the spot around, the first thing I notice is 2 leghorn hens out in the yard, looking a bit frazzled. They flew back up into the trees and then we heard the howls.
hmm.png

The yotes are pretty close in tonight. I would say within a 100 yards of the house by the howls. Plus, they're on both sides of the woods. They were howling back and forth for a few minutes, and my husband popped off a few high brass .00 buck 12 gauge rounds.

We could hear them beating feet out through the woods, but sheesh! too close for comfort.

Looks like we're going to be laying out for the coyotes again. We took a dozen or so out last year, and the pack moved on. Seems like they forgot about the danger and are back.

Good thing the chickies are locked up tight.

Darn coyotes.
he.gif

Em

It may be a different pack altogether, or as my 83 year old Grandmother would say "They have brass ones" and dont care about the shooting. We have a pack around here, and about once a week or so we or the neighbor picks one off. They dont seem to mind, I think it is more food for the rest of the pack when one gets shot. I have no idea......I just know they are not liked around here.
smile.png

wow!..spotted crow!..that is scary!..i dont ever hear mine during the day..that is creepy!..wonder if they were hunting something?...*shivers*..
and mangled!...yeah..thats real close!..and right after your husband was out there!!..
th.gif
...scary!

We have coyotes that range around in the pastures during the winter. I can hear them yipping and howling. The strange thing is that my two dogs completely ignore them! Doesn't seem to bother either one of them. Now, should the neighbor's dog woof in his sleep we bark like maniacs. Same thing for invisible things that only they can see. But the real threat, the real terror that could actually eat them they completely ignore. I'm not sure how much help mine will be in protecting the chickens.
roll.png

We have coyotes around here but dont usually hear them unless a train is going by, they howl with the train...or when the farmers are harvesting their fields because of all of the small rodents and such.
At my parents they have a VERY bold pack, the pack doesnt think anything of going through peoples yards at night, my room at my parents overlooks the front yard, often in the middle of the night I have seen the pack go through and they do make a lot of noise.
I dont believe they are real frightened of people anymore.

Quote:
I suppose it depends upon the size of the dog.

Small dogs around here are known as Coyote appetizers.

Quote:
My dad had let 3 of his dogs off to chase rabbits this past March, the coyotes came and killed one dog, and maimed one so bad it had to stay at the vet's for weeks. The only one that didn't get it was hiding in the brush. That dog is now so afraid of anything, even my dad can't get her to come to him if she gets off her chain.

Back
Top Bottom