• No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

lizzyGSR

Songster
9 Years
Mar 24, 2012
Kansas
My husband and I have a crabapple tree right outside our back door. The fruit has recently started falling off the tree, and my goose LOVES them. Are crabapples at all harmful for geese? I'd hate to take this treat from her because she loves them so much, but I'd really hate to see her get sick because of them.

My husband and I have a crabapple tree right outside our back door. The fruit has recently started falling off the tree, and my goose LOVES them. Are crabapples at all harmful for geese? I'd hate to take this treat from her because she loves them so much, but I'd really hate to see her get sick because of them.
As long as they aren't sprayed with pesticides I don't think they would hurt her at all, they use geese to clean up orchards.

Geese are usually smart. They know what's good for themselves. I'd say you're safe with crabapples. Actually, it's an excellent idea. I may just give some to mine.

I purchased a small pink wheeping crabapple tree this year. It had little tiny crabapples on it. We had to put fencing around it because everybody thought we bought them a new toy to play with! Plus a new food source by eating the leaves off of it. Today I caught them yanking the crap out of the tree taking leaves off to eat. Boy hope that tree starts to grow next year. Because they sure do like to pick on it.

Try Googling crabapple recipes. Lots of people make them in to jelly, crabapple butter, jam and more. I had a bush crabapple at another house and we tried making some jam. It was okay and I am still alive. I would feed them to my ducks and geese in a heartbeat. It is true that some varieties are better tasting then some others. The type I had wasn't great but still usable.

The first thing I ever canned was crabapple jelly...it was delish! Couldn't find any this year, tho :( Spiced apples with crabapples are great too, and I've also used them to make and can juice. Very versatile little things they are :)

Try Googling crabapple recipes. Lots of people make them in to jelly, crabapple butter, jam and more. I had a bush crabapple at another house and we tried making some jam. It was okay and I am still alive. I would feed them to my ducks and geese in a heartbeat. It is true that some varieties are better tasting then some others. The type I had wasn't great but still usable.

The first thing I ever canned was crabapple jelly...it was delish! Couldn't find any this year, tho :( Spiced apples with crabapples are great too, and I've also used them to make and can juice. Very versatile little things they are :)

Thank you for the suggestions! However, my husband and I have been so busy trying to get our property ready for my horses (building a fence the whole length of our nearly mile-long property, building a barn, cleaning up the pasture, filling holes, etc) that we haven't had time to even THINK about using the crabapples. I'll try to use them for jelly, butter or something next year. For this year, I guess my goose can have all she wants. :) Thanks for the input everyone!

Back
Top Bottom