Crabbing and Clam digging in the PNW? UPDATE! SUCCESSS!!!!

Quote:
One of those in Silkiechicken's picture is a crab ring. Never had a problem using either one from a dock, or boat.
hmm.png

I was only pointing out that this type would be my first choice.
https://02c01e9.netsolstores.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=381
Removing ticked crabs (especially red rocks) from the rings can tend to be a chore. Not sure about how well the collapsible traps fare. Looks for easy crab removal also. The rings are much heavier and can wear you out by the end of the trip.

Last edited:
Quote:
One of those in Silkiechicken's picture is a crab ring. Never had a problem using either one from a dock, or boat.
hmm.png

I was only pointing out that this type would be my first choice.
https://02c01e9.netsolstores.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=381
Removing ticked crabs (especially red rocks) from the rings can tend to be a chore. Not sure about how well the collapsible traps fare. Looks for easy crab removal also. The rings are much heavier and can wear you out by the end of the trip.

I understand what you are saying. We started out with the type of ring you posted a link to. They are fine, when you are tending them frequently. When you are setting 10 traps at a time, your bait is gone from the rings, and the crabs, by the time you complete a circuit of your string. We would just pick the ones that looked like keepers, out of the cage traps to check for size and shake the trap over the bay, to dump the little guys. Red rocks are definitely a PITA. They can still get you when you handle them by their two back legs. Salad tongs work pretty good for those guys. There didn't used to be a minimum size on Red Rock. Is there now? Gave all my crab traps away when we moved to AZ. Not a lot of seafood around here. I still have a couple of boats, that haven't seen water since 2001. Maybe. we'll make it to Mexico one of these days. I do miss the ocean sometimes.

Ah ha! That's what I need to add to the list. Salad tongs to grab them with! According to the book I got with the license, each person can take 24 red rock crabs of any size and gender. Its only the dungenous ones that require male and 5 and 3/4 inches wide.

Puling them up again and again won't be too much of an issue. It's all for fun even if we come back with nothing. It's going to be two of us and just two traps getting a workout. LOL I was thinking of putting that metal bait cage in the wire cage and just using metal ties to hold down the chicken legs to the ring, since it sounds like if the crabs can't get a hold of the meat, they will just leave?

Quote:
They're not real sharp. If they can smell it, or hang on to it, they stick around. Fish does work the best for bait. Shad (shows up in June) is the best of the fish baits (man do they stink!), just that the seals will steal you blind. Have a good trip.

iv always used the ring types off of the san fransisco pier, the only problem was the meat/ chicken you use for bait is practically free game for sea otters and sea lions which we had a problem of her ein san fransisco lol other then that they are perfectly fine i havnt tried any others yet

It's been years since I did either. but I prefer clam digging. crabs are just that, crabby!! It never fails I would have one of those nasty things latch on to skin somewhere.
I've never used a shovel to dig razor clams. we always used a clam gun. you can make yourself one real cheap one using large pvc pipe and some pipe glue. ummmm fried clams... I had no idea a licence was so expensive in Wa! It used to be 7, then 12 then 15 bucks now 44! yikes!! we would get licences for all four of us and we were allowed like 12-15 each. that is a lot of clams to clean. with clam digging you need a good minus tide.

Have fun!! I'm jelouse

Thanks! I could be off on the wa numbers though...as I think the ones I saw were the fishing and shellfish combo numbers... didn't see the shellfish alone option, but since I'm not in wa due to school, I didn't look that hard.

I've seen these razor clam guns, but I don't think I'll be getting any of that type out here. I was thinking more steamer clams. I do need to learn how to fry things though, since I really don't know.

The one 5 inch crab!
230_crab.jpg

The wimpy clams... didn't get any soft ball sized clams like some of the pros out there! It was a messy job and I didn't want to get waist deep head first in a hole.
230_clam_small_800.jpg

Back
Top Bottom