Crabby BLRW Pullet - Likes to Bite... Suggestions??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by hen-thusiast, Jul 17, 2010.

1. hen-thusiast

hen-thusiast Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    Utah
    She is a BLRW pullet who lives in a 4x8 coop with her sister. We got them in January and they lived in the house most of the winter and were handled A TON. Her and her sister had severe frostbite and she lost most of her toes. They live in a custom made coop that is all one level - half for their henhouse and half for an enclosed outdoor run. Both sides have a door for us to access it and there is a little chicken door separating the henhouse and run.

Well, they love the outdoor run and want to sleep in it, so we have to shoo them in every night. About a month and a half ago she started biting when I tried to lock her up at night. At first they were just little pecks. They've increased in severity to the point where she broke the skin in three spots (with one bite!). She's just kind of a crabby chicken in general, but she only bites at bedtime. I've carried her around upside down after every bite and it doesn't seem to faze her and she'll bite again the next evening.

Getting rid of her or eating her are not options. We've put too much time and love into these two. Right now I either wear gloves or "trick" her into the henhouse and then quickly shut the door behind her. It would be nice to just be able to handle her normally, like her sister. Does anybody have any other suggestions??

BTW - very early on, I named her Laila... after Laila Ali. I guess this is what I get for naming her after a boxer. [​IMG]

2. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Is she going broody? Broodies are very grumpy, and it doesn't take eggs for them to go broody. I have 5 grumpy hens sitting on air right now. [​IMG]

3. hen-thusiast

hen-thusiast Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    Utah
    No - I don't think she's going broody. I don't even think she's started laying yet. I haven't even seen her in the nest box. She's been squatting for about two months, so I keep thinking we'll be getting an egg from her any day. I even thought maybe she'd been eating her eggs, but I haven't found a speck of evidence. Not sure on her exact age, but her two sisters are laying. We were told they were around 18 weeks in January, which means they should be around 11 months. Between them not being hatchery stock and months of recovery, I'm assuming that is why the point of lay is taking so long with her.

I hear you about the broody thing... the third "healthy" one just went broody and she took to biting me too. She's the grumpiest broody I've ever seen. [​IMG]

I can't imagine having five grumpy broodies!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by