Cracked beak

Ilovechickens123

In the Brooder
Aug 6, 2020
So I have a chicken and i don’t know what happened to her beak but one day we woke up and saw her beak had a piece missing. I’m not sure what happened but I drew a picture because she is sleeping right now and I don’t have one. Please help me cure her and later I will post a picture of it. She is not bleeding but You can see some skin or something I’m not sure what it’s called but I need to know if she’s ok

Attachments

• 4647A100-3A8F-4835-A6CB-220B998BE5FC.jpeg
    4647A100-3A8F-4835-A6CB-220B998BE5FC.jpeg
    96 KB · Views: 28
Is it affecting her eating or drinking at all? If not, immediate action does not necessarily need to be taken. For the showing beak skin, maybe put the part of the bandaid that has the adhesive over it. This area will be sensitive and can get infected so use bandaid adhesive (from the kind of bandaid made from cloth) or some medical tape to put over it. How old is the chicken?

Is it affecting her eating or drinking at all? If not, immediate action does not necessarily need to be taken. For the showing beak skin, maybe put the part of the bandaid that has the adhesive over it. This area will be sensitive and can get infected so use bandaid adhesive (from the kind of bandaid made from cloth) or some medical tape to put over it. How old is the chicken?
She is eating and drinking but it’s hard for her to eat big thing like watermelon it needs to be cut up for her. And she is 5 months old I’m at the store right now but when I get home I will upload a picture

It got more broken this morning I’m not sure how long it’s been like that but today I noticed it
Ive never had this happen, so im purely guessing about what can be done here... I would slather some antibiotic ointment on it daily, and ensure that she can eat and drink... I'm not sure if the beak can even grow back. You said she has troubles with big things, like watermelon, but does she eat things like crumble and drink water? Does it take her multiple tries to do these things? Hens with clipped beaks have been fed with deep dishes of crumble to make it easier, and some make mash (feed+water) to make it easier as well. The beak is rather sensitive, so if this was recently caused, her trouble could be caused by pain. Sorry I haven't much help to give you, I hope your hen pulls through strong and healthy:hugs

This can happen when they try to get something on the other side of wire, or running into something in a panic. As long as the quick is not too damaged it will grow back, but it will take awhile. I would just leave it alone. Make sure she's eating and drinking, making a mash as recommended above, and raising dishes up a bit so she can scoop better will help. Most of them like their feed made into mash. The tip will harden up gradually and then be less sensitive and painful.

Ive never had this happen, so im purely guessing about what can be done here... I would slather some antibiotic ointment on it daily, and ensure that she can eat and drink... I'm not sure if the beak can even grow back. You said she has troubles with big things, like watermelon, but does she eat things like crumble and drink water? Does it take her multiple tries to do these things? Hens with clipped beaks have been fed with deep dishes of crumble to make it easier, and some make mash (feed+water) to make it easier as well. The beak is rather sensitive, so if this was recently caused, her trouble could be caused by pain. Sorry I haven't much help to give you, I hope your hen pulls through strong and healthy:hugs
It’s ok thank you I will try my best to take caeré of her❤️

Back
Top Bottom