Cracked egg still alive, hatched and doing great! UPDATE w/pics

This little guy is doing GREAT!

Here's a pic of him drying off... you can see the umbilical cord as a very thin line that was still attached to the inside of the egg membrane. He dragged that around for a few hours before the cord dried up and I snipped it.
29868_img_1866.jpg

For the first day or two, he hadn't learned how to stand yet, so he'd just thump both his feet up by his head and do the "chicky dance"! Here's a vid of the adorableness (should work but was acting finicky just now).

As of this morning, he's standing and walking successfully (though still wobbly like my other 1-2-day-old chicks), eating, and just discovered how to drink water from a small dish! Success! He's also SUPER chilled out and really loves just hanging out with me. YAY!
29868_img_1871.jpg

And lastly, here's a vid of some of his first drinks of water (with my roommate, best friend, and my adorable dog d'Art in the background).

So all in all, it's looking like this little one is going to be just fine!
big_smile.png
By the way, I'm pretty sure his mom is my gorgeous black mottled cochin hen, and dad is either my blk mott cochin roo or porcelain d'uccle roo. I kinda hope it's the cochin, cuz this baby is going to be GORGEOUS. Not that he isn't awesome either way.
wink.png

Little guy is still doing really well... he's in w/all his siblings now and eating, drinking, pooing, and finding his way to and from the heat lamp so all's well!

Here's a pic of mom, and the roo I *hope* is dad.
smile.png

29868_img_1463.jpg

Quote:
big_smile.png

Me too! FYI, this little guy is still doing fantastically well. I named him Henry. It may end up being Henrietta, but at this point I doubt it. I'll see if I can get a recent pic up here sometime soon.

Back
Top Bottom