Cracked egg used wax, but not hatching

Sep 25, 2020
Forestville, NY
Okay so while transferring eggs from one incubator to the other during day 18 I used a plastic carton from Tractor Supply, while it crushed two of my EE’s eggs.

I used wax and on them, my other uncracked egg hatched a day early on day 20.

Day 21 I took out one of the waxed eggs because I candled it and saw it was not alive anymore, but the other was.

This is day 22 and the other waxed egg is alive but hasnt even internally pipped yet. I’m worried it is shirk wrapped or can’t pip because of the wax.

Thoughts

This is the wax. When it was crushed it was really bad

Attachments

• 81A245C2-7336-4C9B-97C7-C947782C0141.jpeg
    81A245C2-7336-4C9B-97C7-C947782C0141.jpeg
    50.3 KB · Views: 14
I'm not sure from your picture. Did you just seal the crack or did you put wax over much of the egg.? For future reference after the first egg hatched I'd have scraped most of the wax off. There seems to be a lot of it on 5he egg.
I just sealed the cracks but there was a lot of cracks because it was crashed in a plastic egg carton while I was transferring the eggs to another incubator

Well since the egg developed obviously sealing the crack helped keep the embryo alive. I think it's possible that the wax acted like glue keeping the shell whole. I would have used a sharp paring knife just prior to lockdown and scraped most of it off. Hopefully, you won't have to deal with a cracked egg again and it won't become an issue.

Back
Top Bottom