Cracked egg

littletonlee

Chirping
Feb 28, 2017
I have eggs under a broody hen it’s day 19 and when my hen was off nest getting a drink I noticed one egg was missing a chunk of shell but membrane is intact. Is this the chick hatching or did she crack it somehow? And what are chances of survival since membrane is still intact.

I have eggs under a broody hen it’s day 19 and when my hen was off nest getting a drink I noticed one egg was missing a chunk of shell but membrane is intact. Is this the chick hatching or did she crack it somehow? And what are chances of survival since membrane is still intact.
I don't know anything about booty hens hatching eggs but when I incubated mine the first time mine started piping on the 19th day. Does it look like a little hole a little pip or a crack can you show pictures please.

I don't know anything about booty hens hatching eggs but when I incubated mine the first time mine started piping on the 19th day. Does it look like a little hole a little pip or a crack can you show pictures please.
I’ll try to get a picture but literally it looks like a Chunk of shell about the size of a dime is missing

I’ll try to get a picture but literally it looks like a Chunk of shell about the size of a dime is missing
Ok alot of people say on this site that have gone through this some of them would take a piece of shell from a regular fresh egg and place it on top of the hole and maybe seal it with the little wax. But I don't know cuz it's 19 days I'm going to get somebody to help you just don't want to give you wrong information@MGG

I took this pick the chick is still moving inside the membrane
2E26EB1B-6953-4A0E-8C30-014CDF288082.jpeg

That's not a pip, something crushed it. I've never seen anything quite like that. I wonder if the broody hen was fighting off a snake, rat, or something.

I don't know what I'd do under a broody hen. If it is not ready to hatch and you try to help it, you will kill it. If you have an incubator crank it up and crank the humidity way high and see if it will hatch. You could give it back to the broody after hatch.

Other than that I'd probably leave it alone under her. I just don't know what else to do.

Back
Top Bottom