Cracked egg??!!

Emma-ly

In the Brooder
9 Years
Mar 5, 2010
How do I keep my hen from cracking her eggs? This is the 2nd egg with a tiny crack. We put plenty of litter and the hens just toss it out. What can I put down that they wont toss? I use pine shaving right now.

Also, my RIR gave me a light brown egg yesterday and today I got a light brown egg with spots. Is this normal? I thought they only did the one color. I only have one RIR and the others are EEs and Leghorns.

idunno.gif

I'm having the same things happen! Yesterday I had two cracked eggs that definintely looked pecked. They weren't leaking, but I'm worried about it continuing and leading to egg-eating which I hear is hard to cure. Not to mention that I can't sell those eggs. Also, I have found several big light brown speckled eggs in the last couple of weeks and this is new. I happened to be in the coop right when my light brahma laid her egg and she is the speckled egg layer! I caught her in the act of laying a few months ago and her eggs were definently not speckled. This has happened recently. Something to do with her age (11 months)? The eggs have gotten a lot bigger and I know that has to do with age, but speckling? I look forward to others commenting.

Quote:
I have an RIR that gives me brown eggs with some fine freckling on it. They are beautiful eggs.
As for the nesting material; I nailed rubber tiles (the kind used in kids rooms) to the bottom of the nests with electrical staples and put a piece of wood across the front of the box to keep the straw in the box better. I still have to put new straw in every couple of weeks cause they will find a way to pull most of it out eventually but it's a lot harder for them now and even if they do the rubber keeps the eggs from cracking. Once in a while I have to replace a mat cause they will scratch away at it till it shreds but it takes them a long time to do this.
Good Luck!

I have a couple of hens/pullets who have lain speckled eggs for me - some do it regularly. I like the speckled eggs. And it doesn't reflect that anything is wrong. Just think of it as a paint factory anomaly.

As for the bedding and the cracked eggs, i've read that some people put down a scrap piece of carpet and have good success with that. I would want to make sure it was low pile though, so the girls don't pick out the little strings, etc. and eat them. Also, having a little ledge at the front of your nest box helps keep more of the bedding inside the box.

What happens if your egg has a small crack what should you do? Is their like a speciel jell or something to help prevent liquid from oozing out.

Quote:
If i ever have a cracked egg, i check to see whether the membrane inside was broken. If the membrane isn't broken, then the egg should not leak out. In that case, i keep it for my own use. If the membrane is broken, i scramble it for the chickens or my dog or my cat.

Now if we're talking hatching eggs, obviously, there's a different story, but i think you're just talking about food eggs, right?

Quote:
If you're hatching...

i haven't done this personally, but i have read from others here at BYC, that they have saved the chicks by using wax - or in one case elmer's glue and a paper towel - to reseal it. I'm sure that would be only if the membrane was in tact.

OK Thank you becouse I think that, this topic is very importand and should be adressed just incase of emergencies. Becouse this has happend to a couple of people i know(becouse of preditors etc.).

Back
Top Bottom