Cracked eggs can hatch - experience post

kmpcfp

Songster
9 Years
Mar 24, 2014
Southern Maryland
In case this happens to anyone else... I accidentally set a cracked egg, and didn't realize it until candling on day four. I saw the cracks on the bottom as well as the developing embryo. I was really torn about throwing it out, but decided to seal it it up with melted birthday candle wax and check for growth/movement every few days. She (he?!) ended up hatching out into a perfect chick.

2nd from the bottom left
20230322_230739.jpg

Hatching between the two chicks:
20230323_065107.jpg

20230323_095025.jpg

One with the darker yellow head on the left.
20230326_093016.jpg

In case this happens to anyone else... I accidentally set a cracked egg, and didn't realize it until candling on day four. I saw the cracks on the bottom as well as the developing embryo. I was really torn about throwing it out, but decided to seal it it up with melted birthday candle wax and check for growth/movement every few days. She (he?!) ended up hatching out into a perfect chick.

2nd from the bottom left
View attachment 3449717

Hatching between the two chicks:
View attachment 3449721
View attachment 3449723
One with the darker yellow head on the left.
View attachment 3449718
Thats really awesome! They're adorable.
Thank you for sharing!

I too had a cracked egg that made it all the way to the final day. The duckling did end up passing away but it looked like the membrane right around his entry hole dried out while the rest was fine so that's why he passed away, not because of the crack.
Unfortunately I didn't notice the crack until we were well into lockdown so I don't know if it was there when I set the eggs initially or if it happened later when I was candling.

I too had a cracked egg that made it all the way to the final day. The duckling did end up passing away but it looked like the membrane right around his entry hole dried out while the rest was fine so that's why he passed away, not because of the crack.
Unfortunately I didn't notice the crack until we were well into lockdown so I don't know if it was there when I set the eggs initially or if it happened later when I was candling.
Was that from this current hatch?

I've never been able to keep a cracked egg going. Had a quail egg with a hairline crack, which quit on day 10, and a duck egg with a pretty bad crack, quit on day 3. Used the usual methods to cover the crack, but unfortunately failed both times

Was that from this current hatch?

I've never been able to keep a cracked egg going. Had a quail egg with a hairline crack, which quit on day 10, and a duck egg with a pretty bad crack, quit on day 3. Used the usual methods to cover the crack, but unfortunately failed both times
Yes, the duckling that just passed away had a cracked shell.

Back
Top Bottom