Cracked eggs (on the side)

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by pigcoon, Oct 16, 2010.

1. pigcoon

pigcoon Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Vermont
    I did a search to see if this was covered already and couldn't find anything similar. Lately my hens (I have 5, Golden comets) have been laying eggs that have a crack along the side. There is usually one each day. It is not on the tip as some others post and it is a lateral crack-- almost the way they crack when they freeze in the winter but it's not that cold yet.

They're eating a good pellet food, leftovers and greens twice a day, they have sand and gravel in their run. I mix some oyster shell in with their pellets.

I haven't changed anything about their diet, but suddenly the cracks are appearing. They've been good, hard shells for more than a year since they started laying (they're about 18 mos old)

Any thoughts?

2. Kschut669

Kschut669 New Egg

Oct 13, 2010
    They might be pecking at the eggs or possibly when they lay them they hit hard enough for them to get a small crack? I've had cracked eggs with a little slit in them when it was 40 degrees Fahrenheit outside. I would think its the cold.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by