Cracked Eggs

Samanthaalvin1

In the Brooder
Jun 8, 2020
Dandridge, TN
I have a buff orphington that we brought home about a week ago. She is approximately 12 months old and lays every other day usually. The past 2 eggs have been cracked when I went to get them out of the nesting box. I was down there today when she layed and she is moving all the pine shaves out of the box or to the sides of the box. She then sits directly on the wood bottom of the nesting box and lays her egg. When the egg hit the hard bottom it immediately cracks on the end. Is there something I could safely line the bottom of the nesting boxes with?

She gets layered feed and water which is always available. I also keep oyster shell and grit available. The nesting boxes are the premade wood style from tractor supply and each has about 2-3" of pine shavings inside. My other hens do not move the pine shavings and their eggs are fine.

Attachments

• egg.jpg
    egg.jpg
    228.5 KB · Views: 11
I have a buff orphington that we brought home about a week ago. She is approximately 12 months old and lays every other day usually. The past 2 eggs have been cracked when I went to get them out of the nesting box. I was down there today when she layed and she is moving all the pine shaves out of the box or to the sides of the box. She then sits directly on the wood bottom of the nesting box and lays her egg. When the egg hit the hard bottom it immediately cracks on the end. Is there something I could safely line the bottom of the nesting boxes with?

She gets layered feed and water which is always available. I also keep oyster shell and grit available. The nesting boxes are the premade wood style from tractor supply and each has about 2-3" of pine shavings inside. My other hens do not move the pine shavings and their eggs are fine.
If you're handy you can make your own i would get a piece of water proof fabric put some stuffing under it and staple the fabric to the bottom of the nestbox then just put your shavings on top of it so she thinks she is still moving everything out of the way to lay

Quick & free liner: fold up a used feed bag to snugly fit the nest box, then put your bedding on top. It provides sufficient padding for all but the thinnest egg shells and if you ever have a mess, just pick it up, bedding and all, and toss.

Just cut out a piece of a yoga mat to fit nicely in the nest box. Yoga mats can be easily cleaned and the chicken will not be able to scratch it away if the mat fits accurately. No need for staples or else.

Back
Top Bottom