CRACKED OPEN EGG TO EARLY *PLEASE HELP*

IndianRunners02

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jan 22, 2013
The Chickens were due to hatch last night and non of them were making any noises or anything so this afternoon i candeled the eggs and non of them looked good so i took 8 that i was sure had nothing in them.. all of them had started developing but perhaps died at day 7-10??.. I had 9 left in the incubator so i went back and candeled the others thinking there probably dead as well i took 8 and left 1 in as it looked further along then the others and i had cracked about 6 of them and they were all dead so i got to the 7th one and thinking it will be just another dead one i smashed it too hard and i found that there was a living chicken inside!! he has lost quite a bit of blood but i have put him in the incubator.. he has been breathing in there now for about 3 hours and i dont know what i should do with him?? someone suggested that i put the shell back together with sticky tape but the crack is way to big and if it did work it would stick to him.. I really don't want to kill him and if you have any idea on what will help please reply

Use a moistened paper towel or tissue to press on the bleed is to stop it.

I have put the shell back around chicks to protect the inner membrane from drying out to quickly, so if you can do that I would. If the chick is already hatched out of the shell, and if you look at the chicks tummy near the rear and do not see any yolk sac (which looks like a round yellow sac attached to the belly) then the chick should be fine. It will dry off and lay there to regain it's strength. However, be prepared that if the chick already lost a lot of blood, it may only survive for a short while. You will know soon enough. If the chick survives, you may wish to purchase another day old chick to raise with it. Chicks do not do well alone.

If the chick is still in the shell and has the inner membrane around it with full blood vessels running through it, then also moisten the membrane being careful not to get too much moisture near where the chick is breathing and put the chick back in the incubator. The check on the chick every few hours. You may have to continually moisten the inner membrane until the blood vessels fully collapse and the inner membrane can be slide away from the chick easily, at this point you want to make sure you can't see any yolk sac, which is located on the chicks underbelly near the rear. If there is no sign of yolk, it's safe for the chick to hatch out completely. Watch out for shrink wrapping, which is when the inner membrane dries out around the chick and makes it so the chick cannot hatch further on it's own. You may have to moisten and peel the dried membrane away, if the vessels have collapsed and there is not yolk sac present you can hatch the chick out.

Hope this helps.

Hi,

I didn't want to read and run. I am no expert at all and have only just completed my first hatch. I also opened one egg too early (4 days after the last normal hatch though, on day 25), so my advise would be hands off! I would think, wetting the membrane and keeping the moisture up in the incubator is the answer. Your picture isn't very clear. Is its beak out? If the answer is yes, then I would definitely keep my hands off altogether.

I hope this helps.

Chook27

Last edited:
I have a duck eggs that I accidently dropped on the 22nd day. It broke a large chunk out of the shell including bloody membranes. The duck was being hatched my her mother. I was getting rid of the rotten eggs. I can see the duckling breathing in the bloody hole. I put it in a very moist incubator with a damp paper towel laying over the hole and the chipped out area that shows the inner membrane. I have checked every hour. Chick is still chirping. If I had left with mother ants would have got it. Anything else to do??????

Last edited:
Leaving them alone after stopping any bleeding is probably a good idea if most of the egg is still there. If not, then stop the bleeding and the yolk sac, if still outside, might need to be removed as I don't know if they can absorb it when they're outside of the shell and if they don't it'll get infected and kill them.
I'm fairly new to this site, but so far I've had three difficult hatches where I managed to save the chick.. The first, a duck, had her shell completely eaten by chickens because the duck hen decided to nest in the chicken coop. Her yolk sac was punctured by the chickens, so I removed the rest of it, made sure all her organs were inside and stopped any bleeding with a towel, then set her in an incubator and began feeding and watering her as soon as possible. She lived and grew up normally. Then, I had a goose egg that was dropped a week before hatching and ended up with a dent in it. I left it completely alone in the incubator, just candled and turned it as I did the others, and it hatched out with the others and was okay, although I had to force it to sit in its shell extra time while it was trying to climb out so it could absorb its yolk. The latest was a chicken, I had to crack almost completely open because she was positioned wrong in the egg and couldn't get her beak out to breathe. She looked like she was dead for about a day, but eventually gained strength and ended up living.
I also had a chicken that I dropped the top of my incubator on on day 15. I removed the shell chips and sealed the hole with a square of plastic from a bag -my mother has something against normal plastic wrap, apparently- and some hot glue. The chick survived until hatch time, where it decided it was ready to hatch in the middle of the night and managed to get itself twisted and stuck in the egg. I freed it in the morning, but I guess the damage was done because it died anyway.

I have a question for you all. The eggs 25 days old. I opened one up and there is a live chick. After reading all those answers on this post.. Egg yolk absorbed meaning what, I am trying to find a picture of it. This chick has yolk on the bottom and still moves no sounds. I put it back under mama with extra egg shell over it with damp cloth. Meaning the chick is full developed? Any chance of survival? Thank you for your help since I am new at this.

If you look past the chick into the egg, you should not see yellow egg yolk sac attached to the belly if it's ready to hatch. That should be pulled into the belly and the hole should close up before the chick should be allowed to hatch. There should also be minimal blood visible before hatching can proceed. I'm sorry I don't have a picture.
I'd put it in an incubator if you can, that's cleaner and the hen won't pick at it then.
It could live, but you should also keep a close eye on it to prevent drying out as well.
Is the chick breathing?

Erka97
Thank you for your help
I understood what the egg yolk process
Unfortunately I don’t have an incubator and the chick passed away
It broke my heart and yet it is a learning curve for me and for others too

If you don't have an incubator you can also put them in a box under a lamp. I kept eggs alive for days like that as a child, even hatched a few I stole from my family's ducks.
I'm sorry about your chick, though.

Back
Top Bottom