cracked shells

guardian1

In the Brooder
11 Years
May 24, 2008
on the road
we're starting to get eggs with cracked shells. we give our girls egg layers feed, so they are getting plenty of calcium. usually, it's just a hairline fracture, and the membrane lining the shell will be intact. we're wondering if it's because it's cold outside now (we live in michigan). does anyone know what would cause this? thanks!

How many hens use the same nest? May be getting stepped on?
idunno.gif

we have 11 birds and they lay about 7 or 8 eggs in one nesting box and we'll usually find one or two one the floor. they seem to really like the one nesting box for some reason.

When an egg freezes it usually cracks as a hairline fracture or a bigger crack. Maybe they are freezing? I'm in Wisconsin and if I leave the eggs out in the coop for a long time, they crack and freeze. That would be my guess- freezing.

we didn't have this problem until it started getting cold out. we've been keeping the girls inside the coop with two heat lamps. they won't come out to save their lives, guess they don't like snow; but they do love to roost right above the heat lamp!

i just wasn't sure if it was coincidence that we started having this problem when it started getting cold. it's fairly cool inside the coop, but not cold.

I bet it's the cold, I got my 1st frozen egg the other day. It was about 20 degrees out and I hadn't insulated the coops yet. Much better now that it's insulated! She had laid the egg in the middle of the night i think.

Quote:
In the winter an egg can crack when frozen. After is thaws again it will go back to gether. It's an incrediable egg. Just make sure you have oyster shells out for extra calcium as a free choice and that can help strengthen egg shells.

I have five boxes for 14 laying pullets and should have 6 more pullets laying soon. I think the ratio is 5 hens to 1 box.

My theory: Eggs may be a little weaker in the winter due to less Vit D which they usually get some from the sun. Less real sun = less vitamin D. Vitamin D is required to properly use calcium....so - just another idea! I haven't checked the nutritional requirement against whats in the bag nor whether feathers affect the amount of vit D made....

I also use Layena and have the same occasional hairline or a whole mess with one really stomped on.

I can't keep shavings or hay in the laying boxes either which I think would help....they love to turn, scratch, and kick for awhile before setting.

Back
Top Bottom