Cracked-up

freefoul7

Hatching
Aug 19, 2019
Please I need some answers, my hens have just started laying about a month ago and 2 days now I've gone to collect the eggs and they were cracked open, the yolk dripped down through the hay. I have cleaned it up and added fresh hay, but I can't tell if its a egg eating chicken or a rat. What should I do?? I love my chickens. They are about 24wks. old now and this is so up-setting.

Hi and welcome to BYC. I’d suggest not panicking for the time being. It can take a while before all the egg-laying plumbing gets in sync. Feed layers feed, cut out any additional treats and see how things go would be my initial suggestion.

Please I need some answers, my hens have just started laying about a month ago and 2 days now I've gone to collect the eggs and they were cracked open, the yolk dripped down through the hay. I have cleaned it up and added fresh hay, but I can't tell if its a egg eating chicken or a rat. What should I do?? I love my chickens. They are about 24wks. old now and this is so up-setting.
MORE calcium Captain! More calcium..
provide some oyster/egg shells "on the side" and make sure your conventional feed is loaded with calcium.
24 weeks is young.. btw.

Welcome :frow. Agree with Pork Pie and Connie.... make sure you always have a dish with crushed oyster shells available, the chickens will ‘supplement’ calcium as needed. First eggs can be imperfect. They may have been stepped on, if the shell isn’t strong enough they break open

It is upsetting...and a mess to boot!
Was there any shell left at all?
If so, was it hard shell or thin weak shell or soft shell(membrane only)?

Are all your birds laying, or might this be a new layer?

Before we jump on the 'More Calcium!!' wagon......
What all and how exactly how are you feeding?

Back
Top Bottom