Craigslist or hatchery

Vertebratefamliesrock

In the Brooder
Sep 25, 2018
Northeast Arkansas
so I’m getting new chickens and I just put in a order in my pet chicken but shipping was ridiculous considering I live 15 miles away from a international airport so I went and looked on Craigslist and found much cheaper chicks and chickens in my local area I can pick up should I spend the extra on spending or go pick up chicks from Craigslist
(I put this here cause I didn’t know where to put it)

Unless Craigslist sellers are NPIP certified, I would stay away from them simply because of the possibility of introducing disease into your flock. Hatchery produced/vaccinated chicks are a safer bet. Sometimes the cheapest option ends costing the most in the end.
Well I’m restarting my flock after my Other flock sadly died of by the new coyote in town though my new coop is predator proof

I have found several local breeders through Craigslist in our area. You might check and see if there are any advertising in your area. I know of at least 3 here that have NPIP certifications. I am probably going to be getting my next years chicks from local sources rather than having them shipped as long as I can get the breeds I want.

I got some beautiful buff orpington in a CL trade a couple years ago, as well as a pair of salmon faverolles that were so super pretty for free as well as some production reds I got in a trade from CL, all where fine birds. CL birds can be great, just check them over and take all the normal precautions // plus i have sold some great birds through CL so I know there are quality birds being moved on the site // there is of course crappy birds to weed through

Try your local feed store. Buy local and get chickens all in one!
feed store chicks are a Hy-bred of local and not local it's like buying a new car at a dealership. meaning you are not necessarily buying locally made cars (hatched chicks) you are simply paying a local distributor of the made (or hatched) items. the main factor I posted to buy from a feed store/big box farm store is no shipping cost esp. for small orders (and no packing peanuts).

Uuuuugh. It depends. Everytime someone brings me a chicken from the local feed store here scaley freaking legs mites. If you buy off craigslist your risking getting some fixer uppers or making any chickens you own at the moment sick or introducing something as annoying as scaley leg mites. I would search Facebook or other social medias for local breeders who have pictures of clean coops and healthy birds and seem knowledgeable.

Back
Top Bottom