Craigslist Scams

mjdtexan

Songster
11 Years
Sep 30, 2008
Houston(ish)
As a Craigslist poster I often get the scam attempts. It is usually an attempt to send me an email that looks like it is from Craigslist themselves telling me someone is trying to access my account or someone saying they are craigslist and did I post this truck or car for sale. What they want is to redirect me to somewhere where it looks like craigslist and are attempting to get my password.

What would they do with the password? Thats the part I cant figure out. Its not like I have money stashed at craigslist or something

LOL..i know..its weird.
idunno.gif

I got an email saying my "Facebok" account was compromised (or something like that). Would I please click this link and enter my username and password.

I think not.

IDK- I was wondering the same thing. Maybe its a numbers game, some people use the same password for email as they do CL, so they can use your email to access any other accts you may have, like paypal, or online banking based off your previous emails that they can now read. Then they reset all your passwords using your email and can get into your accts? Thats the only thing I can think of, and it seems like alot of work for them- if they are that smart and have that much free time, why dont they just get a job?

Quote:
What do they want though? Thats what I want to find out. What are they gonna do with that information?

I know. Post nasty comments on my wall? I can do that by myself.
lau.gif

I got one that said my USSA Bank Account had been accessed I have no clue where that Bank is even located or if it even exist. I get the emails wanting me to get insurance quotes on a vehicle that I have for sale on Craigslist.

I'd agree that maybe they're hoping your pass for that is the same as other accounts... many use your email as your account name... get the password and you're set...

Then of course it could be one of the really bad guys who plans to use YOUR name, but post their address for 'pick up' of something and then plan to harm, financially or physically, the person who shows up... and if anyone checks it's YOUR email, name, etc. that they find and thus YOU that they'd come after...

Best bet is to let the site know, so they can let users know, and not give them ANY info.

Edit... Elite, we've got USAA as a bank/insurance... they've a location here in Texas, though not near us... wonder if that's it?

Last edited:
Quote:
It does exist - it is a bank for members of the military. That is where my hubby has his account. They don't have branches everywhere though - it is mostly on-line.

Back
Top Bottom