Crazy about Crochet? Nutty about Knitting?

oesdog

Crowing
13 Years
Jun 7, 2010
Ireland
I've noticed some old threads that cover this subject but think maybe like me some of you have gotten back into this passtime?
For the past few years I've been doing a bit of crochet and knitting on and off. However since covid and lockdown I've been doing more. In fact I've got rather tied up in thread crafts and would love to share with others so if there are any other Hens or Roosters out there who have been creating with threads lets see what you've been up to?
crochet 1.jpeg

Last edited:
I loved crochet as a kid. But I wanted to make sweaters. Since my access to yarn was mostly Red Heart (I hadn't discovered wool yet), the sweaters I made were big and bulky and I rarely wore them. So I decided I better learn to like knitting.

The knitting bug bit me -- HARD! -- and I learned to love wool and good quality yarn. And to spin my own. I tried to make a small business of spinning and knitting, but I couldn't make enough $$$, so it had to go back to being a hobby. Maybe if I lived in NYC, but here people wouldn't pay for handspun, handknit, one-of-a-kind sweaters. Or I didn't get into the right venues, I don't know.

I got a job that had lots of computer time, and had to put knitting on the back burner, as carpal tunnel issues were a real concern. Now that I'm retired, I have been courting the knitting bug, to see if it'll come back and bite me again.

There were times I crocheted so much that I caused a repetitive motion injury in one of my hands...and there are times when I start and quit 5 projects at once... and sometimes (rarely), I'll complete something like this:

20190401_165701.jpg

Or this:

20181216_125608.jpg

And then give them away...

I also like to knit socks.

I do some knitting and I’ve tried crochet. But all I made was half a dozen shawls. If I was just going to do a big blanket I would crochet but I prefer knitting. I never quite got the hang of crochet. I could never figure out how to go up to the new row without adding or losing a stitch on the end. I don’t do as much these day though since I’m so busy. I have some more intricate projects I’ve done but they are in storage or were done as gifts and I’ve lost the photos. Currently I’m working on a basic hat as a gift for a friends birthday. Luckily chunky yarn is forgiving since it’s been a year since I finished a project and I’m a little rusty.
1DD9F3B7-C798-4894-BB6C-EE394CD5747B.jpeg
735B61A6-3062-441B-8FED-C99678018533.jpeg

My mom always crocheted and tried to teach me. My sister knits and crochets, and has tried to teach me. I found that I was more suited to counted cross stitch as a "thread" hobby. But I admire your handiwork!
Thank you. That project went to a hospice. It's an easy pattern and fairly quick to produce. I'm currently in the middle of another couple of these as gifts for expectant mums. Do post us some cross stitch it would be lovely to see some of your work. Oes 😎

Back
Top Bottom