Crazy chicken lady from Virginia

ktpaco

Chirping
Nov 25, 2015
Hi all -

I began my adventure with owning chickens in June of this year. I started out thinking I would have no more than 3 chickens- an Olive Easter Egger, an Americauna, and a brown layer (any would do). Then my fiancé said we needed a rooster (just for fun), so I got Maran cockerel.

Well I am up to 20 chickens. I got more when I began thinking my cockerel wasn't truly a boy, and then I got a few that were known layers, because my pullets were taking too long. Needless to say, I have at least 7 roosters, 6 hens, (4) 4 week old chicks, and (3) eight month old chickens that have yet to lay or crow.

I'm getting nervous about the winter - I'm in southwest Virginia, so we will have some snow - but we never get below zero. I have (5) silkies, a Wyandotte, Marans, Americaunas, OEE, Brahma, and Buff Orringtons. My chickens have a good size coop and run, but I am planning on getting another coop to house the little ones when they are old enough, and split up some of the flock. They don't free range until I get home from work, as there are hungry coyotes, foxes, and hawks that love chicken for dinner.

At some point I might post pics of the OEE and the Americauna that are (7) months old (4/28/2015) and are not laying or crowing. I also have a Brahma that is around the same age - with the same thing going on. The Brahma is my biggest bird - pushy, first to establish that she/he is somewhere at the top of the peeking order, but likes me a lot. I would like to know what's the deal with them, just more curious than anything else.

Except for one silky rooster who is fixated on another silky rooster, I don't seem to have any issues with so having so many roosters. I'm hoping that when I split up the flock, I can stop this from happening. My girls do see a little too much action at times, but they all have their feathers and seem ok for now.

Even though there are 20 of them - they all have names. That's why I figure I must be slightly crazy - plus my phone is filled with chicken pics!

Way too many roosters. A rooster can handle 10 hens. With less they will tend to get physically damaged from overbreeding etc. That would mean you need 70 hens to appease them and hopefully have the roos separated into individual flocks - so they don't steal hens & fight over it.

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. X2 on that 1 rooster to 10 hen ratio. As they mature and their hormones kick in, too many roosters will become very hard physically on your hens; over-breeding them, biting and plucking the feathers from their necks and backs, battering them, and potentially, seriously injuring them. The only reason you really need a rooster is to fertilize eggs for hatching and 1 rooster can easily handle 10-15 hens in that regard. Make sure that your coop is draft free, dry, and well ventilated to keep moisture from building up in it. Feathers are wonderful insulators and moisture is a much greater danger than cold. If you haven't done so already, definitely check out our Learning Center at https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center. There is lots of useful information there. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Cheers.

welcome-byc.gif

Sounds like chicken math kicked in starting with 3 and now up to 20, lol. It happens to a lot of members so no one here will think you're crazy.

Thanks for joining us!

Hi all -

I began my adventure with owning chickens in June of this year. I started out thinking I would have no more than 3 chickens- an Olive Easter Egger, an Americauna, and a brown layer (any would do). Then my fiancé said we needed a rooster (just for fun), so I got Maran cockerel.

Well I am up to 20 chickens. I got more when I began thinking my cockerel wasn't truly a boy, and then I got a few that were known layers, because my pullets were taking too long. Needless to say, I have at least 7 roosters, 6 hens, (4) 4 week old chicks, and (3) eight month old chickens that have yet to lay or crow.

I'm getting nervous about the winter - I'm in southwest Virginia, so we will have some snow - but we never get below zero. I have (5) silkies, a Wyandotte, Marans, Americaunas, OEE, Brahma, and Buff Orringtons. My chickens have a good size coop and run, but I am planning on getting another coop to house the little ones when they are old enough, and split up some of the flock. They don't free range until I get home from work, as there are hungry coyotes, foxes, and hawks that love chicken for dinner.

At some point I might post pics of the OEE and the Americauna that are (7) months old (4/28/2015) and are not laying or crowing. I also have a Brahma that is around the same age - with the same thing going on. The Brahma is my biggest bird - pushy, first to establish that she/he is somewhere at the top of the peeking order, but likes me a lot. I would like to know what's the deal with them, just more curious than anything else.

Except for one silky rooster who is fixated on another silky rooster, I don't seem to have any issues with so having so many roosters. I'm hoping that when I split up the flock, I can stop this from happening. My girls do see a little too much action at times, but they all have their feathers and seem ok for now.

Even though there are 20 of them - they all have names. That's why I figure I must be slightly crazy - plus my phone is filled with chicken pics!

Welcome To BYC! Glad you joined the flock. That's a lot of roosters to hens. Can you please post pictures of the wings stretched out on the 4 week old chicks? Eight month olds we shouldn't need the assistance of the wing but a good idea to get a picture just in case.

There are other people who are crazy about birds, like me; every student in my high school that doesn't or can't remember my name will refer to me as: Bird nerd, Poultry boy, Peacock man, or Chicken man. I've had teachers send other students with their bird questions to me. I'm known for knowledge on birds in my school.

Birdrain92 -

I would love to do the wing span thing - but I have no one to help me take pics while holding the chicken at the same time. I'm assuming that's to help figure out if male or female?? I got my first green egg today - I have only the one OEE, and then I have (3) Americaunas. I'm hoping it was the OEE that laid it - as that mystery would now be over. If Americaunas can lay olive colored eggs - then I'm still not sure on the OEE and one Americauna. The other (2) Americaunas I bought a week or two ago - and they are laying two year olds (of course technically haven't laid for me yet - unless the green egg was one of theirs) - I do expect some eggs from them soon, as they are almost adjusted to their new home.

The age range of my roosters are 6 months to 1 year. It seems like they keep each other in check when it comes to the hens (who range in age from 7 months to 2 years). None of the hens show any signs of overbreeding or abuse. The boys seem to police each other, which seems to help out the girls. I don't know if that will change or not - but everyday I check everyone out. I only have the one silky rooster that seems to want to dominant a younger, very submissive silky roo (although I'm not convinced he is a he, but he was sold to me as a roo). As soon as I have my new coop built, he will be in there on his own - and then when the four little Marans are ready, they will join him.

I have attached a pic of what I believe is a Brahma - this was bought as a brown laying hen. However I believe this chicken is actually a well-bred freeloader. No crowing and no eggs. No dominant behavior, except to let any neebies know that he/she is higher on the totum pole - but other than that - this freeloader doesn't cause any problems. I saw one just like this on Craigslist - and it was being sold as a roo. I bought my "girl" in June, and she was around 6 months old at that time.

I will post more pics on the "what breed/gender is this" soon.

Thanks everyone - I'm happy to know that there are others that can help me through all my questions! I appreciate the helpfulness of everyone on this site.

Back
Top Bottom