crazy chicken story

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by vtsarahb, Sep 19, 2009.

1. vtsarahb

vtsarahb Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    Bradford, VT
    I can't believe this just happened....

So, 3 of our 10 hens started laying this week- one of which is Lydia, the black australorp. So far the girls have been laying in the corner next to the nest boxes (which is frustrating to me, but they seem to be happy with it)... so today we shoved the nest boxes into the corner to try and entice the girls to use them.

Well, all afternoon Lydia was going in and out of the hen house, clucking her head off... so I figured she was upset about the nest boxes being moved, and I moved them back to where they used to be. Then, she followed me out of the coop... and flew up to perch on my shoulder (this is what is crazy, since she is always very shy and never lets me pet her!) She just sat there for a little, clucking in my ear. After a minute or two I put her back down, and she went right over to that corner, got comfy, and a few minutes later she laid an egg!

Poor baby must have been holding it in all afternoon! I guess the corner might have to become the permanent "nest corner"! [​IMG]

2. Don Jr

Don Jr Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2009
    sumrall,ms
    That was cool!

3. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    wow no way! and who says chickens dont have personalities!!!! they sure do!!!!!!! they are sooo smart! [​IMG]

4. fldiver97

fldiver97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2009
    Middleton, WI
    I bet she is happy you listened to her!![​IMG] The girl has made up her mind...she found her spot...[​IMG]

5. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

Quote:[​IMG] How cute is that! Don't ya just love the girls?!

6. solarquail

solarquail Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2009
    Virginia
    aww mine only lay under a slanted peice of plywood and a dog house i have supplied for them but there to nesting boxes just sitting there collecting dust!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by