Crazy day hoping I'm doing this right.

Feather mom

Hatching
Dec 4, 2020
Ok so I found two chicks in my driveway yesterday half dead from the cold later finding the nest and the broody hen to be my 5 month old lavender orphington! My daughter and I did a sweep the other day before the cold and snow storm hit to make sure we didn't have any hidden nest trying to prevent this from happening problem being none of my hens had been missing everyone accounted for during the day ( I'm still trying to figure it all out myself sorry for rambling) to the point I find the nest and have 4 hatched babies dead 3 coming out of shells dead and 9 eggs in nest. I took the 2 which are so much better today along with the eggs and I candled them seeing 3 babies moving for sure 1 right after candling peeped. Now this morning shells still in the egg and you can hear her she's trying her best the more I talk the more she wiggles no other eggs cracked yet but can still see the other two moving. I'm pretty sure two eggs are dead but how do I know for sure I have them in a tote with a light and wet paper towels I've never hatched any myself so scared out of my mind.

Attachments

• IMG_20201204_071300340.jpg
    IMG_20201204_071300340.jpg
    270.5 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_20201204_071453520.jpg
    IMG_20201204_071453520.jpg
    247.9 KB · Views: 3
There was a thread a while ago about a woman who just used her oven light and had a successful hatch. I'll try and find it. Your light is warm? Not sure how to help you I normally use an incubator

There was a thread a while ago about a woman who just used her oven light and had a successful hatch. I'll try and find it. Your light is warm? Not sure how to help you I normally use an incubator
The first egg has hatched I unfortunately had to help because the membrane kept drying out but she's a fighter

Attachments

• IMG_20201204_100922121.jpg
    IMG_20201204_100922121.jpg
    304.8 KB · Views: 1
That's good. I would keep the eggs at a temperature of 99.5 degrees until they hatch. If you have a thermometer, check and see what the temperature is where the eggs are. If the other two are moving, they should also hatch soon. Since one hatched, it seems like the temperature is pretty close to what it should be.

I've a YouTube video ( in Greek but easy to understand) of an incubator out of cardboard, iron, and computer ventilator but I can't find the way to copy- paste the URL from my phone !! sorry for my ignorance . If you are interested I'll find a way. Good luck 🤞

Back
Top Bottom